Naturalizing the RF-7

leok

As a result of threads lately in which the characteristic sound of the RF-7 was reviewed, I studied the issue more closely and found that: 1) I do think there is a peak in the RF-7 high end that makes instruments sound hi-fi rather than natural. 2) There is an easy mod that can be performed on the high pass portion of the RF-7 crossover, that removes the peak. The result is a much more relaxed and natural sound that keeps the fine detail and imaging that the RF-7 brings to the party. I've posted the mod in "Updating Older Speakers."

A couple of points about that RF-7 horn and the mod. The mod affects the middle of the horn range: the crossover characteristics and low end, and very high end are not changed. Also, I was wondering if the RF-7 horn was trying to do something extraordinary in this application, but noticed that the mid horn of my Forte covers a 10x freq range: 800Hz - 8KHz and the RF-7 horn covers a 10x range: 2KHz to 20KHz.

Legacy 3-way speakers are a compromise. A single horn covers the range where our hearing is most acute, and high and low drivers are patched in at either end. I think there is a sonic price associated with a crossover at 8KHz.

The RF-7 is a different compromise. The entire top end, which includes most instrument harmonics and ambient spacial cues, is covered by a single driver, which is great. A crossover at 2KHz and cones above a few hundred Hz probably robs instrument fundamentals of their clarity and dynamics.

I think the 2-way approach is a valid and serious approach to using speakers to recreate a sonic event. I enjoy it for what it does well. I am also pleased that Klipsch has provided a high quality 2 way platform at a very reasonable price. Maybe we should consider thanking the Klipsch marketing people for the high end peak that makes the RF-7 a commercial success and keeps its cost down.

leok

I have to tell you, every time you audition a SET amplifier with a pair of speakers, it is a new experience and not always as you thought. I have done enough to know that you cant always draw conclusions easily based on specs. Actually, the Cornwall drivers cause the impedance to vary in the upper region but it does very well with low power SET. You actually have to just break down and try the amps to really see. Some SET will do better than others here based on the iron as well.

kh

deang,

Yes. Fortunately the mod is easily changed or removed so I can try a SET when I get one, with the original Klipsch voicing. With Klipsch speakers there is always the risk that the real problem is what goes in. The reminder is well taken.

leok

Leok,

You have a point, I may take it a little further; stream of conciousness and subjectively.

It would be interesting to hear if someone audioned RF3 and Heresey side by side with tubes to hear the differences.

In order to grow in a changing market(HT influences), Klipisch has sustained and grown while obseleting a real large number of models we feel have value, in the past 10 years.

1. Price point influences

a. You can ship 2 RF7 in the same "footprint" you can ship a Chorus II; thus .5 of the shipping cost. I cannot imagine the actual pakaginging and shipping cost including insurance for K Horns($ 400?).

b. RF7 is only Reference speaker I see that uses an aluminum die cast woofer frame. Aluminum die cast usually reqires secondary operations to trim or polish off flash(adds cost). Other speakers use stamped steel wich requires coating as a secondary process(adds cost).

Other Reference speakers are polymer woofer frames wich require little to no secondary finishing before assembling voice coil, magnet and cone(less cost).

c. No more 12 and 15 inch woofer designs. These designs require more mass in the woofer frame and in the speaker box(adds cost).

d. reduced complexity of crosover and elimination of mid driver in 2 way design.

2. Market influences

a. Uninspired girls generally do not like large speakers. Demonstrated by Bose, Def Tech, and other manufacturers success with narrow profile speakers. My wife still rolls her eyes at the size of the Chorus IIs.

b. With 5.1 you have to leave floor space for the sub.

Well that is it for me on the influences of the changes we see in audio today.