Wow ,Scott 299 my first first tube amp.

arfz28

Fist, thanks Danocaster for a well packing job you did on this amp, it made it here in perfect shape.It has a great home and will be takin great care of. Thank you Nos440 Craig, for the help you gave me in telling me which input connections to use for my cd player and my turntable on this tube amp.Well it was a sight to behold when ever I turned the scott on, watching those tubes starting to glow, just had to stare at it and watch, neeter then hell.I waited about 20 minuites for it to warm up and then played a cd I like a lot, fleetwoodmac.Sat down and no sooner than the song started, I couldnt believe the sound I was hearing out of my k-horns. A more fuller bass so natural, amazing, the voices unbalievable. This tube amp totally changed how my k-horns sounded. I listened to this scott for 3 straight hours, the most I ever listened to my k-horns at one sitting.I use to get tired of them after about an hour or so with my older sansui receiver.Gone is that in your face high end, no more of that turning up the volume perty loud to get the bass I wanted out of the k-horns.After hearing moble, Craig and so many others saying how good tube amps sound, I just had to try one out.Im a believer, the differece is amazing, I can listen to my k-horns for hours no more listening fatigue. My turntable sounds so good on this tube amp too, such a sweet sound.I can only kick myself in the butt for not getting into tubes way sooner, I have been listening to my k-horns for 19 years throu the sansui, nice recceiver, but cant hold a candle up to this scott.This was the best 300 bucks I ever spent on my stereo system.Thanks to all you guys on this great forum without all your input and knowledge, I never would have made the venture into tubes.I am a tube owner and proud of it. Thanks all.

Well congrat's on your new vintage amp,I too was plesantly suprised when i first unpacked my 299,which had first been shipped from the seller to me in fl.it was then forwarded to craig, I was actually out of the country,and my wife took care of the redirection for me.

So my antepisitation was heighten,after speaking with craig who gave me a breakdown of what he had found, which was very positive.This was my first perspective of what my purchase looked like,and what it would take to bring it up to snuff.

There is'nt a more genuine person you could wish to encounter,for those of us who have delt with him in some way, has had nothing but admaration towards him,he's a real brick.I'am no great audio facenado, just like music,But critical as far as information received through my ears.

the first thing i noticed was this amp was clean,the bass is present,i like my heighs but the mids is awesome,he did a job on this amp.These were my first impression and i reserved a place for the critical ear. and it showed up later,in craig instruction he made mention that channel a is on the right i believe, after a while i started to notice that the right speaker was over powering the left. And was becomming annoying, i changed tubes to some qb5 i had from another amp and this made quite a difference seems more musical,but still the overpowering problem presisted,tried adjusting control but could'nt quite get rid of problem.

until one day switch speakers and to my amazement it all seems to fit together, don't know why just did.These are very special amps, and i know i wont be parting with mine any time soon,and am so looking forward to the review that mobil homeless will be conducting real soon,not weather this is better than any other amp but his perseption.as far as i'm concern this is a very fine amp,try opening it up, you will be suprised with the result.

Well congrat's on your new vintage amp,I too was plesantly suprised when i first unpacked my 299,which had first been shipped from the seller to me in fl.it was then forwarded to craig, I was actually out of the country,and my wife took care of the redirection for me.

So my antepisitation was heighten,after speaking with craig who gave me a breakdown of what he had found, which was very positive.This was my first perspective of what my purchase looked like,and what it would take to bring it up to snuff.

There is'nt a more genuine person you could wish to encounter,for those of us who have delt with him in some way, has had nothing but admaration towards him,he's a real brick.I'am no great audio facenado, just like music,But critical as far as information received through my ears.

the first thing i noticed was this amp was clean,the bass is present,i like my heighs but the mids is awesome,he did a job on this amp.These were my first impression and i reserved a place for the critical ear. and it showed up later,in craig instruction he made mention that channel a is on the right i believe, after a while i started to notice that the right speaker was over powering the left. And was becomming annoying, i changed tubes to some qb5 i had from another amp and this made quite a difference seems more musical,but still the overpowering problem presisted,tried adjusting control but could'nt quite get rid of problem.

until one day switch speakers and to my amazement it all seems to fit together, don't know why just did.These are very special amps, and i know i wont be parting with mine any time soon,and am so looking forward to the review that mobil homeless will be conducting real soon,not weather this is better than any other amp but his perseption.as far as i'm concern this is a very fine amp,try opening it up, you will be suprised with the result.

NOS440,

I might just take you up on your offer if my new tube guru dos not pan out.

A good freinds just introduced me to a tube fan that rebuilds amps.

He has many old scott and mcintosh amps. He told me he would rebuild my 299 and some other scott amps I bought on ebay ( 220 mono amps) later this mounth.

I hope he turns out to be my tube hero as I have a lot of amps that need work and he only live 5 miles from home.He also going to teach me how to work on them.

I cant wait to hear the 220,s through my Khorns

The 220's should be awesome !! Its really better for the amp to have a local tech do it as long as he know what he is doing and doesn't just change what doesn;t test right but matches everthing channel to channel and uses the right kind of parts. Shipping it just adds to the cost and the chance of damage although I've been lucky with all my dealings excpet my own personal first Scott amp suffered some damage from shipping. If you do ship package it in a descent size box with at least 3" of good cushion arround the amp.

Good luck

Craig