Tube Amp/Pre-Amp Manufacturers

music nut

This is for anyone who wants to add their two cents worth...

I own a pair of Heresey II's and want to power them with tubes. I would like both a tube amp and pre-amp. What are the pros & cons of using the same/dissimiliar manufacturers?

Also, I would like to know what specific products people might recommend I consider. My priorities are as follows:

1. Reliability of the products

2. Dynamics & Rythym - I want the gear to be tuneful and capture the emotion of the music. Also, I listen to rock and blues and tend to play it loud.

3. Low Noise - I don't the products making a lot of background noise.

4. Good frequency response.

While imaging is important, it is not the end all to be all for me. Some brands under consideration are VTL (the TT25's), Manley Labs (Stingray or something used), Quicksilver Audio (Mini Mite monos), and Antique Sound Lab. I must admit, I am not all that familiar with ASL. If anyone could share their experiences with this company, I would be most appreciative.

Your input is valued...Thanks.

MN,

I don't think it matters about using the same brand.

I was using an AES-AE3 pre amp with a pair of Antique Soundlab Wave AV8's. My speakers were a pair of Heresy's.

It sounded very good.

I am still using the same preamp. I have since changed amps. I am using a pair of Wright WPA 3.5's with a pair of Lascala's.

I am going to change out the preamp with something else(don't know yet). I will then use the AES, Waves and Heresy's in the bedroom. It sound's very good. I was either using a Rega Planet CD player or a Marantz CD6000.

You will get alot of good info here.

Two things will be helpful.

How much do you want to spend and what are you using for transport?

Welcome to the tube world.

Danny

Take a look at this equipments:

www.margules.com.mx

They have the best sounding tubes I have listened. Their U280sc is an astonishing product, to my knowledge, the only tube amp that works in pure class A.

1) Regarding reliability, all I can say is that the commitment from the company is absolute, sometimes they performe ugprades without charging.

2) With 60watts/channel (30watts triode) you will drive your Heresy's to really loud levels.

3) Zero noise.

4) Look at the specs, but I think that most good tube amps nowadays have at very least good response from 20 t0 20khz.

I really don't want to spend more than $ 3000.00 to $ 3500.00 for both products and, in reality, less than this would be even better. I am open to looking at used gear as well as new.

My current cd players are a Toshiba SD-9000 dvd and dvd-audio player and a Sony SACD player.

Given your relatively limited budget vis a vis wanting a seperate pre-amp and amp,I'd suggest spending your money more wisely by getting an integrated tube amp. In the $3000-3500 price range, the best amp I've heard (and I've heard a lot of them) is the Audiomat Prelude Reference. I reviewed the Audiomat Arpege for SoundStage! back in 11/99 and bought and used a Prelude Reference for quite some time (see the Prelude review at Enjoy the Music website). The Prelude is a Class-A operating p-p using EL34 power and is my hands down favorite tubeintegrated. Authority, finess, detail, musicality---you name it. You can get ASL, Jolida, or the kits, etc., for less, but it's still budget tube gear. FWIW none of my customers who purchased the Prelude have sold them. It's rare to see one on Audiogon.

I have a Cary SEI300 integrated amp. I bought it used for $2,000 off Audiogon. It drives my '78 Cornwalls fabulously. They come up for sale every month or 2 in the $1,800-2,400 range. There are many tweaks and upgrades possible along with NOS tube rolling. While anyone should definitely consider Manley, VTL, Wellborne, and the like, don't forget Cary. I think the thing that has impressed me the most (besides the sound) is their service. I have had many lengthy (and very forthright I might add) conversations with Kirk (their service tech person). Not to mention once when forgetting the time difference (It was after 6:00pm there.), Dennis Had answered the phone and spent about 30-40 minutes on the phone with me. He was very helpful and honest sounding. Little things like that can make someone a customer for life.