Speaker combination.

Qilla

Hi,  

I am trying to configure which speakers should I buy for an excellent stereo setup. I was considering to buy  a pair of RF-7 III or put 2 pairs of RP-8000F instead.

I have  a pre amp and a power amp which have speakers A+B connections so I can connect 2 pairs of speakers. So any ideas which should I use to get better sound.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Qilla said:

Hi,  

I am trying to configure which speakers should I buy for an excellent stereo setup. I was considering to buy  a pair of RF-7 III or put 2 pairs of RP-8000F instead.

I have  a pre amp and a power amp which have speakers A+B connections so I can connect 2 pairs of speakers. So any ideas which should I use to get better sound.

Thanks. 

Others may contradict this, but a downside of having 2 speaker systems per channel in the same room is multipath distortion with comb filtering (jagged frequency response). 

On the other hand, some people get away with it.  Two speakers in front and two in back, from just a two channel source, can sound pretty exciting.   Consult an expert to make sure that it doesn't result in too low an impedance for your amp.  There are circuit boxes that may help.  See Parts Express.

There are some circuits you can use to provide extra spaciousness from multiple speakers, 2 in front (right and left channels as usual) & 2 (right rear and left rear) in back, including the Halfer ambience circuit or Dynaquad.  I had something like this c. 1974, and it worked well, most of the time.  I heard that it puts a strain on some amplifiers.  I have no idea if that is really true.  Someone else may have more info.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit. Once again, see if Parts Express mentions this.

Some pre-amps/receivers have PLII (Pro Logic II) that creates 5 channels from 2, but you need extra power amps (or channels).

Some settings on receivers called something like "Multi-channel stereo" put out 4 channels from 2 channel sources, but, once again, you need more amps.

Right now, for 2 channel sources, I use 2 channels or Dolby PLII music for 5 channels (3 of them simulaed), depending on what sounds best (always).  For SACD music disks in 5 channel, I use 5 channels, plus subwoofer.  For Blu-ray movies I use 5.1.  All of these sound great, almost all of the time.  In my big collection, there are some "problem children."  I wanted nothing to do with Dolby PL II until a friend persuaded me to try it.  Wow!   I used to have a "Beware of the Dolby" sign posted above my sound equipment.  Those days are over.

Go ahead, fall down the rabbit hole -- it's fun!

• Like 2