Dampening those tube resonances...

Deang

Took an extended lunch today and put the Halos on the tubes. I moved some of gear around and did some listening. I took things up to the 95db point and it sounded pretty darn good. The dampers tightened things up a bit. It's a subtle change. The ambience I raved about appears to be intact, but the image seems to be a little more focused. Things between the speakers just sound more defined. The bass is punchier and the snares have a little more snap. It certainly doesn't appear to be a change for the worse. They kept what I liked, and gave me a little bit back of what I missed in the AE-25 -- and that's fine with me. At any rate, certainly more of a change than I expected -- considering all I did was put hoola hoops with pads around my tubes.

The ringing is gone too -- now replaced with a wonderful uuummmmm sound. I hit the pause button and I'm met by my Apollos chanting the mantra.

Apparently, the resonance point has changed. It's not quite as loud, but still clearly discernable. However, the postive here is that it's not near as annoying -- nor is it noticeable when the music is going full bore.

I have yet to fully experiment. I just put them across the middle of the tubes. I can probably change things up by moving them up the tube somewhat. The instructions indicate that every tube type has an optimum seating position -- and experimentation is needed to find it.

It seems I've made some headway here, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Sounds good.

I must have missed that post Dean.

While I like the 9000es alot, I still use the Mac most of the time. I mainly use the 9000es for SACDs. Since I finished enclosing the basement listening area I have been trying to decide how and where to do more acoustical treatment "tweaks".

I have a couple of CD's that I have 2 copies of...I need to start them both up at the same time and do some real A/B comparisons as I haven't done that yet.