Calling all Classical music experts - recordings and labels ...

Vladi

I would like to get the following classical music, but have no idea what performances, recordings/labels are good. Any advise on what recordings to get is greatly appreciated. Also, please suggest more music!

Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Organ Works

Beethoven: Sonatas; Piano Concerts; (I am getting Symhonies 1-9 on DVD-A)

Bizet: Carmen; what else?

Mozart: Symphonies 40, 41 what other symph.?; Various Overtures; Requiem; Flute Concertos; Oboe Concertos; Suites, etc...

Ravel: Bolero; what else?

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake; Nutcracker; 1812 Overture

Vivaldi: Four Seasons

Wagner: Overtures

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concertos 1 - 4

Others ???

I had bad experience with Rachmaninoff, I purchased a CD an it is terrible, all instruments are heard from the L and from the R as well, no stage at all.

----------------

Beethoven: Sonatas; Piano Concerts; (I am getting Symhonies 1-9 on DVD-A)

Mozart: Symphonies 40, 41 what other symph.?; Various Overtures; Requiem; Flute Concertos; Oboe Concertos; Suites, etc...

----------------

I can only speak for these two fellas, so here goes...

for Mozart, I was fortunate to run by a good recording of Requiem Mass first time around which was the Deutsche Grammophon's "MOZART.REQUIEM", conducted by Herbert Von Karajan with Wiener Philharmoiker. I have another recording of requiem mass, and it doesn't even compare to Wiener Philharmoiker's performance. Requiem happens to be one of my favorites of all time and I recommend it very much.

Another Deutsche Grammophon, Panorama I, and II series for Mozart Amadeus Wolfgang. both are 2 disc sets and exept for crap requiem mass in Panorama I's second disc, every piece of music in all the rest is well worth the money. Panorama I includes Mozart's last three symphonies: no. 39, 40, and 41 also known as "jupiter". second disc consists of Piano Sonata in C minor K. 457 and a very horrendous performance of Requiem Mass.

Panorama II was pleasantly surprising that I got to re-experience Mozart after 2 years of listening to my large selection of mozart, mozart, and then some mozart. If u are like me and unfamiliar with what to look for in a composer, recommendations and listening to Greatest Hits of.. are great but too often the less popular but equally great pieces are left out. This selection yields out some of the most wonderful works such as clarinet, flute and harp, and horn concertos that u won't find easily in recommended section. but this album also includes probably Mozart's most recognizable work; Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I don't know ur taste but I can guarantee it won't be a disappointing experience.

U didn't mention any violin concerto by Mozart, but I just got this recording, really just so I can have a good recording of this one lovely piece and I think u might wanna give it a try also. yet another Deutsche Grammophon. "MOZART.THE 5 VIOLIN CONCERTOS" violin by Itzhak Perlman and Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by James Levine. I have two or more recordings for these violin concertos and this is by far the best recording of all.

These are some of the most definitive works of Mozart that I've had the pleasures of listening to and I really think u'd enjoy them much.

the only recording I'd recommend for Beethoven is "Beethoven, Sonatas Pathetique; Moonlight; Waldstein and Appassionata". these are all classics and good point to start Beethoven's Piano sonatas. Deutsche Grammophon played by Wilhelm Kempff.

sorry to cut this short but I need sleep14.gif I hope each recording will be as memorable as I find them to be.

Not that you would be able to find them, but the Houston Symphony does amazing recordings of their performances and sells them sometimes. I have a few and they really are great. So check your local (if applicable) symphony to see what they have. They also could give some good suggestions... as least they SHOULD be able to.

Check out http://www.telarc.com/

When it comes to musical quality, Telarc is top of the line! You can actually order directly from their site, or get the correct info and search ebay. But telarc has quite a bit of classical.

Classical recordings done by Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops Orchestra are amazing!! Especially 1812 Overture in DTS!!

I've gotten really picky when buying. Just because it says "Digitally Remastered", doesn't mean it's any good. I have bought a couple of those and they sounded like crap! So beware.

Try Telarc, they might have what you are looking for.

Hope that helps some!

hey if u already got that violin concertos, still good but I think this album might suit u better, not that I would know ur preferance, this is much more brighter, clean, and not-so-stylized version of those violin concertos. not as delicately played as they should've for some adagio(this is where the other album would shine) but in its entirety, a fantastic orchestration. Philips(yes philips as in the company that makes television) anyway 2-disc set Philips Classics; Violin Conertos no 1,2,3,4, and guess what? 5. enjoy.