Yamaha RX-950 - does anyone have one?

Kraken

I came across a Yamaha RX-950 in a thrift shop.  It is big and heavy and looks interesting.

Apparently it was Yamaha's flagship stereo receiver around 1991-92. 

All the information I can find is this review, http://www.hifi-review.com/153689-yamaha-rx-950.html .  This review gives the impression that the RX-950 was worthy of carrying the flagship name for Yamaha.

Does it compare with other flagship receivers of the era like the Denon DRA-1035r or the Luxman R-117?

Does anyone have experience with this Yamaha TOTL receiver?

Edited by Kraken
clear up typo

I don't know about the RX-950, but I bought a Yamaha R-8 in 1985 to power my Klipsch KG4s (I think the very top of the line was the R-9).  I paid $600 for that receiver.  It had a 5 year warranty.  I still have it and it works and sounds as good as it did when new.  The Yamaha receivers from that era were very good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one!  (Or, rather, my son now has it).

I used a RX-950 as my main unit for years, a lot of the time powering Magnepan 1.5's, 1.6's and 1.7's and then my Klipsch Chorus II's for awhile.  This receiver is actually rated by Yamaha for 4 ohm performance (180 watts/ch).  Never had an issue with the 4 ohm Maggies.  For the price you'd probably pay at a thrift shop, it's a no-brainer, as long as it's in good working condition.

When I auditioned my Klipsch Quartets the guy selling them demoed them on a Luxman R-117.  Gotta say they sounded really good on that receiver.  But my NAD 7000 receiver from the late 80's is pretty close to it in normal listening conditions.

Get the RX-950.