Wondering different EQ settings for different types of media?

BeeGee

Hi, just wondering if anybody has any certain presets that they use for DVD's, videogames, music, etc... I really wanted to actually use the 3 presets that the DD5.1 has, but am unsure what settings I should use for the different categories. Any recommendations would be appreciated Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have held off giving my opinion on your question as I have a different view of the purpose of the equalizer. First, the purpose of the presets are to allow DD5.1 functions to be tied together under one label for each of four audio inputs. If you are fortunate to own a 'learning' remote that operates ALL of your electronics, you can program it to transmit the preset assigned to the electronics that is an input to the DD5.1 when you select that electronics package. The equalizer is just one of the functions that can be assigned to a preset.

I view the equalizer as a black box that allows an audio signal in and produces an audio sound pressure output directly proportional to the audio signal input - in other words, it corrects for room acoustics and speaker weaknesses. It knocks down room and speaker resonances and boosts up room acoustic 'holes' of absorption and inadequate speaker output. It provides the user an acoustical 'Flat' response, the Holy Grail of audio.

The only suggestion I can give is to locate an audio engineer through an up-scale audio/stereo dealer, and have him set up the equalizer for your room set-up. If that is not possible, try the equalizer settings on Justin_16's site. I see no advantage trying to 'color' the sound with the equalizer, unless you are one of the 'knob twisting, button pushing' types. If you are, then just play with it. Most who try this approach usually tire rapidly of the setting, and end up constantly adjusting - hence the label 'knob twister/button pusher'.