Would it really help?

justin_sharpley

I just purchased an audigy2 soundcard (not the platinum version) and ordered a pioneer 106S dvd drive. I play computer games, listen to music (mp3, cd), and plan to watch dvd's (obviously). My question is, would I notice a big difference in sound quality? Seeing as how the decoder isn't even available in Canada yet, I've got some time to decide on whether I should buy it or not. I can still get 5.1 sound in dvd's even without the dd 5.1 can't I? Will the increase in sound quality really be that drastic? Anybody have recommendations on my situation?

woot I'm a noob, go me!

Thanks

1.gif

• 1 month later...

99% of games (made up statistic but close) for computers do have surround sound, but this is not Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound. The digital output standard, SPDIF, can only send out a surround sound signal encoded as Dolby Digita (AC3) or DTS. Not the decoders fault just the games and SPDIF's limitations.

There are a FEW games about to be released that are Dolby Digital 5.1 though.

Hi Justin, I still don't get it - I have had SB Live X-Gamer & Creative FPS2000, and I used digital DIN, and I got surround sound fine with those. Right now I have Promedia 5.1 and SB Audigy Gamer, and I get SS again. How did the SS work fine with games using the FPS2000-XGamer combo, and why will that not replicate with DD 5.1 and Audigy Gamer? I thought Audigy would take the game sound and convert it to 5.1 channels automatically so I would get digital 5.1 sound with my games too.

Thanks,

D.V.

You have a digital DIN... as in a few different pins carrying the signal. That equates to more than the digital conductor of the plain ol' spdif mini output. So, it is like a mix of both, analog for non digital (not Dolby Digital) signals like games and music, but when a DVD comes on it sends out a digital signal.