HBR refinishing help - w/before pic

kjohnsonhp

I purchased some HBR's and found them to be stained (or some added finish) and tried to clean them but instead rubbed the finish off (see pic). So what should I do? I filled the two holes on the top.

1. Do I use Formby's Furniture Refinisher to dissolve the old finish and then sand smooth with steel wool and paper by hand? I'm not sure what type of finish is on the speaker now...

2. Since I already have a coloration to my wood will I have an issue with a consistent color?

3. Is there a certain stain color that would work best--do I need to go darker?

post-10144-1381924571071_thumb.jpg

First of all...the color you use is entirely up to you.

What did you use to clean them that removed the finish? If it did no damage to the wood other than removing the finish, and was easy to use, then just use it to remove the finish!! It OBVIOUSLY does the job!! LOL!

After removing the finish, sand them , but don't use steel wool...bad idea for speakers that have components that the residual steel wool bits can get into...like your midrange and tweeter drivers!! And remove all the components so that they don't get dust and grit into them!! WHen sanding...use progressively finer grit, finishing up with a hand sanding WITH THE GRAIN using something like 320 grit garnet. Be careful not to overdo it...remember, it is veneer you are sanding, and it can be sanded through easily.

I would like to vaneer them to look similar to my 1976 Oiled Walnut cornwalls, but I didn't think I could do the work. I assume I would need to do the following:

1. buy the walnut vaneer -- I could probably figure this out

2. cut the panels -- this is what scared me

3. glue them on (determine glue type, use clamps)

I worry that one look at the finish project and you could tell it was after market due to my lack of experience/skill.