The best store to buy HT equipment

ZDoug

I am about to make some major purchases on HT gear. I think I will go through a dealer rather than the internet because I can't find what I need on the internet and I'm told IF.......you can find a good dealer and are putting together a system it is best to buy from one dealer. I assume an entire system from one store could be purchased for significantly less than buying a few pieces here and there? Do you agree?

Also will most dealers discount if you buy pre/pro/amp/speakers etc all from them. Is there a percentage discount I should shoot for? Say 10-20% off the total retail price?

Finally,it was a little disturbing to read the thread about the poor service at Tweeters. Luckily, from what I read here, I don't have one near me. I do have a Magnolias near me. I was considering buying from them. I think they are only in the West.Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with them? Also are they likely to give reasonable discounts on an entire system. By the way I'm putting together a new Ht/Tv system separate from my Klipsch music system. Thanks

I have had all wonderful experiences at Tweeter except once. That was ratified when the manager saw me with him and took over.

I have actually made some good friends with Tweeter sales people, Stephen Scott for one. He has helped me out numerous times, and is in his twenties, which helps. Me being 18, a lot of home audio video stores could care less about me, but Tweeter, and especially Stephen, are great.

I buy my stuff from tweeter or from individuals. Except my HDTV I got at The Home Theater Store. I do NOT like those ppl, all they want is a sell...

if you let your salesman know you are buying in bulk beforehand, he just might cooperate, just remember to set the ground rules before you get started. i always get medium to high end interconnects, and 10%, plus service is a must, return policy...... but before you buy go to many different places, spend days searching for what you think is you, who you think really has your ideal system at heart. most i have found only want you dollar, and than after you decide on what and where, go home research your purchases, are they current models?, good price? read on line reviews on these machines..............aalot of work in the begining can save money, and time later12.gif and remember! specks sound good on paper, but in the final outcome, specks and sound can differ greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer12.gif

I live in Sacramento.The only stores of any value in high end are The Good Guys; Paradym; Fx and Magnolias. I am guessing from the lack of response about Magnolias that most of you live somewhere other than in the Western states? There must be some of you who have had experiences with Magnolias. I know they sell Klipsch. Thanks

ZDoug,

I live in Sacramento. I bought my Rotel pre/pro from the Home Theater Store, my Mitsubishi from the Good Guys near Arden Fair, my Arcam CD player from Audio FX (yesterday), and a bunch of stuff all around. What would you like to know? If it's what store to shop at. I don't feel comfortable at Paradigm (although they have a lot of good stuff, like Anthems), have done Okay at The Home Theater Store (after they find out you're actually buying, they bend over backwards there, but there was a salesperson who seemed arrogant to me at first), and really liked Audio FX (they with their 7 foot tall speakers and 200 pound monoblocks). The guy I was dealing with there yesterday said a new Rotel pre/pro is coming out and he was going to package the Rotel pre/pro with a Rotel power amp and tuner for about $2700. The only places I know that sell Klipsch here though are Magnolias and Good Guys. The best speakers I saw were at Audio FX. Although they've moved before, they've been around the Sacramento area for quite a while. Again, they were great to deal with. At first, they said no discount, but they did me well after a while talking.

By the way, I live in Elk Grove.