Heresy Speaker - now it gets serious

Pondoro

I bought two Heresy speakers. I believe from 1983. The outsides are rough, they sound good. There were no grills. I bought the proper cloth from Crites, I bought logos, I bought Masonite for grill boards. I opened one speaker, the plan is to use the motor board as a template to rout the grill boards. 

Everyone talks about re-capping. My capacitors look pristine. The entire inside looks pristine. I expected a lot more dust and crud. I have attached pictures.

My thought is to make the grill  boards and button this back up. I will probably stiffen the back but not try to stiffen the sides or motor board. There is not much room on the motor board and tap tests reveal the sides to be much stiffer than the back. Stiffening the back without eating up much volume will not be difficult. I'm a mechanical engineer in the Aerospace industry so I stiffen things for a living, I have also built a few dozen wooden drums.

Thoughts on the capacitors or any other ideas?

Thanks

Capacitor.jpg

Crossover.jpg

Edited by Pondoro
Clarify

4 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

Thoughts on the capacitors or any other ideas?

Thanks

the caps are very easy to replace if they leak ESR  , they cost  a few$ each from PE EXPRESS , the brand is DAYTON - just unsolder and replace the caps ,  the E2 crossover is very good ,