center channel questions

Klipsch-daddy

I have a yamaha rxv-1000 receiver and klipsch rf-3's for fronts. I have a ksc-c1 for a center channel. I would like to get the matching rc-3 but hate to dish out the 250.00 for one. I just cant see the rc-3 center outperforming the ksc-c1 buy that much? I can get another ksc-c1 for 100.00 new. Does anyone have a rc-3 for sale that might want to get a newer rc-3II? Does any stores have some for sale that are demos?

Almost all stores that carry Klipsch will have a demo RC-3. They may not want to give that much off for it though, since the mark up is fairly small. My advise would be to go to you nearest Klipsh dealer, listen to the demo, and then grind em down as much as you can for a new one. You'll probaly get almost the same discount as you would for the demo.

Or snag one off of ebay.

Sean

Hi KD - If you can demo the RC-3 with your system, that would be best, of course. It isn't so much a matter of the RC-3 outperforming the KSC-C1 (although it probably will) as much as it is being a better timbre match to your R series mains. I'd give it a go, especially if you can find it used.

DD

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch-daddy, I was out touring the mountains when this was posted... so my response may be a bit late. If you have read some of my previous posts you know what my advice will be. Get another RF3 and use it as a Center Main. That is the closest you will get to a timbre match... and the most center channel bang for the buck to match your system. Recently, MarksDad sold a pair of RF3's for $150 each... and that would make not only a swell front center...but provide a rear center as well.

Having an "adequate" center channel to compliment that big screen TV is the greatest single improvement for DVD's and high end broadcast digital movies. Upwards of 75% of the TOTAL sound on a DVD movie is sent through the front center channel in order to anchor the sound to the screen. Having anything less than your best speaker in the center leaves a lot of entertainment unrealized in your ear. At best, scaled down center channels as found on most "home theater" systems may be an artful space saving compromize but if the technology was all that good... it would be incorporated in the right and left Mains... and I wouldn't have a lot less to say about the subject.

Speaking from first hand experience, converting a floorstanding Klipsch speaker (like an RF-3) to a center speaker is not nearly as difficult as it seems. Just remove the speakers, reach your hand through the speaker openings in the motorboard and tap out the motorboard (I use a "DeadHead" rubber mallet available at Home Depot) and use the old motorboard to create a new "horizontalized" motorboard with the Tractrix horn in the center flanked by the two woofers. Mount them as close to the center as practical as this will benefit the center channel effect. No need to worry about the ports... they will do just fine in the new speaker configuration.

Use 3/4" MDF available from Home Depot or Lowes for less than $20 a 4x8 sheet. MDF makes very fine sawdust so wear a disposable mask is advisable. The most difficult part of the job is cutting a channel for the speaker flanges... and that only takes a few minutes with a router. The Klipsch factory paints both sides of the original motorboards with flat black paint to provide a non-reflective surface beneath the grille cloth. Putting new female grille holders in can be a bit tricky... but certainly can be done. The parts can be ordered by calling 1-800-KLIPSCH. However, I find that using commercial quality Velcro to be a more satisfactory approach in attaching grilles.

You indicated a concern for economy... and I suspect you can get a one or more RF-3's and convert one to being a better than a top-of-the-line center for about the price of a new RC-3. I have three Klipsch sound systems and all three have center channels that really match the mains. I am in the process of building a "home theater" for a private resort because so many of its members have heard what having an "adequate" center channel can mean to HDTV satisfaction.

May you find the center you deserve in 2003! Merry Christmas to all the full featured center channel DIYers out there. -HornED