First Klipsch experience, H4 and CW4 I am stunned

Fasthenk65

On 2/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Most probably I buy the Heresy's (CW to big) to combine with the Cambridge set, a Naim atom or dive into tubes 🙂 But I promised myself to keep things as simple as possible 🙂 

First speakers I purchased were Heresys, about a year later LaScalas, about a year later,  McIntosh instead of a new car. I still have all three for the past 40 years.

Heresys are great speakers, no qualifiers.

If you can put them on top of two end tables in the corners so that the mid range is at ear level, they will sound best; pointed at your favorite chair.

Middle of the room needs a thick rug for damping, and something on the wall behind you for dam ping, like book shelves, a thick curtain or a rug. The rear wall should be dead. An open window when it's nice outside solves lots of problems improving the sound.

Performance matters, so specifications matter along with customer reviews. With the Heresys 100 watts is OK, but 50 watts per channel would be fine, you could probably go as low as 20 watts.

16 gauge lamp cord is fine for the speaker wires. Put your money into some good components.

If you can get Class A for at least the first 2-3 watts that is highly desirable, or an amp that runs up to 20 watts class A all the time..

Solid State tends to be more stable than tubes, there are good arguments for tubes especially if you get into tube rolling to change the sound

Class A

SN greater than 105db, 120 is outstanding

THD 0.05 or better

On the used market I have 5 great 20 year old AB amps and early surround receivers that I paid as little as $15 for that new sold for approx $1,000. Just turn off all the early surround features and you have a very competent AB Integrated Amp or Stereo Receiver with a great tuner section, and good phono section. SN 99- 108 on mine. 70WPC on most of them. Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Sony......Take the covers off and blow them out with compressed air. Deoxit the controls, clean the connectors on the rear, inspect for brown spots and leaking capacitors. Run it on some inexpensive speakers for a few weeks before attaching to your best.

The little Sony doesn't spec out well, is minimalist on the inside, but is a good sounding fun 70wpc stereo with a great tuner. I had to fix a couple of obvious broken solder joints.

If you decide to buy an integrated amp etc that is more money take it to a shop and pay them their $50-100 to blow it out and clean it up for you and test it.

Good luck you have many happy days ahead.

YMMV

PS put a location on your profile

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

First speakers I purchased were Heresys, about a year later LaScalas, about a year later,  McIntosh instead of a new car. I still have all three for the past 40 years.

Heresys are great speakers, no qualifiers.

If you can put them on top of two end tables in the corners so that the mid range is at ear level, they will sound best; pointed at your favorite chair.

Middle of the room needs a thick rug for damping, and something on the wall behind you for dam ping, like book shelves, a thick curtain or a rug. The rear wall should be dead. An open window when it's nice outside solves lots of problems improving the sound.

Performance matters, so specifications matter along with customer reviews. With the Heresys 100 watts is OK, but 50 watts per channel would be fine, you could probably go as low as 20 watts.

16 gauge lamp cord is fine for the speaker wires. Put your money into some good components.

If you can get Class A for at least the first 2-3 watts that is highly desirable, or an amp that runs up to 20 watts class A all the time..

Solid State tends to be more stable than tubes, there are good arguments for tubes especially if you get into tube rolling to change the sound

Class A

SN greater than 105db, 120 is outstanding

THD 0.05 or better

On the used market I have 5 great 20 year old AB amps and early surround receivers that I paid as little as $15 for that new sold for approx $1,000. Just turn off all the early surround features and you have a very competent AB Integrated Amp or Stereo Receiver with a great tuner section, and good phono section. SN 99- 108 on mine. 70WPC on most of them. Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Sony......Take the covers off and blow them out with compressed air. Deoxit the controls, clean the connectors on the rear, inspect for brown spots and leaking capacitors. Run it on some inexpensive speakers for a few weeks before attaching to your best.

The little Sony doesn't spec out well, is minimalist on the inside, but is a good sounding fun 70wpc stereo with a great tuner. I had to fix a couple of obvious broken solder joints.

If you decide to buy an integrated amp etc that is more money take it to a shop and pay them their $50-100 to blow it out and clean it up for you and test it.

Good luck you have many happy days ahead.

YMMV

PS put a location on your profile

tnx! I will!

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

Do you know the restaurant Kantjil near the Walled City ?

I love that place, and the Reich Museum is fantiasitc

When is the florade back in town ?

🙂 So many restaurants here. Floriade cancelled due to Covid like all... Nice you know Amsterdam 🙂 

• Like 1