Cornwall decorator backside veneer

tia

I with the help of a friend will be veneering my decorators this weekend. I am standstill on what to do with the backs. I have enough veneer (cherry) to do the backs, but by veneering the backs I feel inclined to do the edges (so the edges match) therefore covering up the serial numbers ect. Also, by veneering the backs the labels will be destroyed. I could re-stamp the serial numbers somewhere else. I would like to keep these as close to original as possible. Would veneering the backs including edges be moving away for originality? Is veneering the backs a big no no? Of course the easy solution is to just paint black. Thoughts? Ideas?  

1 hour ago, tia said:

I with the help of a friend will be veneering my decorators this weekend. I am standstill on what to do with the backs. I have enough veneer (cherry) to do the backs, but by veneering the backs I feel inclined to do the edges (so the edges match) therefore covering up the serial numbers ect. Also, by veneering the backs the labels will be destroyed. I could re-stamp the serial numbers somewhere else. I would like to keep these as close to original as possible. Would veneering the backs including edges be moving away for originality? Is veneering the backs a big no no? Of course the easy solution is to just paint black. Thoughts? Ideas?  

It would be really good to not cover the labels. Black would work on the back or just leaving the rear alone, unless they will be visible.

Suppose but do not know that can be veneered without covering the labels.

Cool...

I'm not a real stickler for keeping things "near" original, but if you veneer the back panel, you can reverse the panel to put the label on the inside. If you want to go back or someone wants to confirm the label, you can switch it back easily. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I'm not a real stickler for keeping things "near" original, but if you veneer the back panel, you can reverse the panel to put the label on the inside. If you want to go back or someone wants to confirm the label, you can switch it back easily. 

Sometimes the most obvious solution is the hardest to find. Excellent idea!  

• Like 1