Refinishing Chorus II.... maybe

zmiles

O.K., here's the deal. I've got a set of Chorus II that I bought back in '93. Over the past decade I managed to neglect the outter finish, which is to say that the cabinets have not had anything applied to them except an occasional wipedown with Pledge! (at best) I got the set with the black finish and they are now begining to crack and flake. SO, here's my question... what are my options?? Do I sand and refinish with a stain of my choice, refinish with the black, or leave well enough alone and cry about my naive youth?!?! Even more in depth, what is the construction of the Chorus II?

Anyones insight, advise or experience will be greatly appreciated!

Zach - I refinished my black Chorus speakers by wiping them down with a gunk remover (I forget the brand - not near it right now) which removed just normal accumulated oils, dirt, etc... (NOT a paint stripper). Then, I lightly sanded them with something like 200 or 400 grit paper and then cleaned them again with said gunk remover. Then, applied 2 coats of black satin finish spray paint (Rustoleum 777, if I recall) and they turned out fine. The one thing I would do different is get a little doohickey that I am told is available that replaces the standard spray can head and creates a more vertical spray than a round spray -- makes the finish smooter on large flat surfaces like speaker cabinets.

Also, either remove all your drivers from the cabinet or seal them off with stout plastic or cardboard and secure masking tape. You don't want any sand particles to get in those.

If you decide to go this route, let me know and I'll pass on the actual product names/numbers when I can get them.

DD

Doug- Thanks for your reply! This is my first refinishing project, so your advice is a huge benefit. Now after I remove the old finish, is the avenue of choosing a different color stain still available? My plans are to go after a more oak look, or maybe even something a little darker. And if that is possible, can you recommend a quality brand. Also (just one more question, I promise! LOL) Is there a durable sealant I should apply as a final coat. Three kids (6,5, and 18 months), and accidents happen.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond. You've been a great help!

Thanks for the comments, but they may be misplaced!! (LOL). This was my first refinishing project on speakers, as well. And I did not remove the old finish -- just prepped it to take another couple of coats of black paint.

There is another thread about refinishing a speaker here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=28349

which, IMO, essentially discourages from trying to take black to a stained finish. I believe there would be too much black residue left in the grain of the veneer to look right.

But, I'll hope that others with more experience than I have will jump in.

DD