4 HK Citation II's on Ebay

Pland

Okay Pilgrims,

This may be a chance to nab a Citation II at a reasonable(sub $700.00) price,since there are 4 of them on ebay at the same time.The condition of each is variable,so bid accordingly.

I just got mine back after a complete rebuild and level I and II upgrade from Jim McShane,and I'm speechless everytime I listen to it.The background is pure black,imaging is now dimensional(a function of how quiet it is,as I used to consider it one of the amps weaknesses),with a huge soundstage.Prat (pace,rythm,attack)is like NO amp I've ever heard.Bass control remains almost like a solid state amp,but with tube nuance on accoustics.

With KT90 EI tubes,this amp has sweetness normally lacking in the 6550/KT88 family.Imagine an Eico HF81 with no noise,and 5 times the power output,and you're close.

A rebuild is not overwhelming,although I had Jim(the Citation Guru)do mine which contributed to the cost($875.00).I suspect Craig could go through one for slightly (but not much) less,using Jim's rebuild kits.The only problem would be trying to find him after he refused to answer posts,disconnected his phone,andfailed to return it to it's rightful owner.I am not kidding.

The one caveat I'd impose upon the seller would be to guarantee the transformers,as they are irreplaceable,and are the heart and soul of this amp.

Kelly and I joke around about zealotry in HifI,and normally I don't have any brand loyalty at all.But this amp pushes my button ,just like a Scott does for Craig,and an Eico HF81 does for Kelly.As far as I'm concerned,this amp turns all other PP amps "into dust".If you can swing one,you'll swagger around like one smug SOB for years.

Best,

Pat

I always liked the sound of the Citation II amp, myself, too...and with a few upgrades, it will probably keep up with the finest of tube stuff! It is just way out of my range in price at the moment. But, Lord willing...when I get around to going tubes for a stereo set-up...the Citation II will be the power supply for it! Wonder how a Dynaco FM-3 sounds through one of em on some older Heritage speakers?? Anybody have any experiences with this combo to share?