KLF30s all the way around

ColaBear

First, let me say that I already have KLF30s as both mains and surrounds. I am contemplating the idea of using a pair of KLF30s for rear effects. My local dealer still has eight pair left, so availability isn't an issue. What I am wondering, is this really overkill? Is it a waste of money to put full range speakers in as rear effects in a 6.1/7.1 system?

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

hey cola, overkill, how's that possible? biggrin.gif

actually the majority of opinions for 7.1 seem to recommend using direct speaks for the rear effects vs. wdst. but they also seem to go for the wdst speaks for the surrounds (sides). that's the way i'm leaning if/when I get that new denon or marantz.

think it really depends on source material & tastes (how u like things localized) for the best set-up. just thought maybe u might want to try that, put that other s6 in action, & save some dough. & w/ that set up u could even add the 3rd set of klf-30 as B surrounds for some movie vs music flexability biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

Ok guys...you asked, so here's my opinion. However controversial to some on this board (back me up if you agree, though...please), I am not in favor of spending huge sums of money for rear channel and "effects" speakers.

Sure, they should "match" in sound, but do you really need that much beef? That's why you have your subwoofer, so that that you can save some cash and room aesthetics and get yourself smaller "matched" speakers for the rear and effects. All the bass is routed to the sub if you have it properly configured, anyway. I think it is huge "overkill" to use KLF 30's in this capacity. Unless, of course, you are (a) not married and can do whatever you want, (B) filthy rich, © aren't concerned about speakers taking over your entire room.

Save your money and get some DVDs or something.

Thanks for letting me vent, and remember...You asked if it was overkill. This is simply my humble opinion, based on my personal preference. Take note next time you are in the THX theater on how big those side and rear speakers actually are. Then crawl back behind the screen and examine those subs. They certainly aren't using the same speakers all the way around the theater. If you have money to burn, buy some more subs, not more KLF 30s.

ColaBear, not sure you would USE all that speaker for effects.I'm with boa12, go with the S6's.But then again it never hurts to have a few spares around!

And I agree with t-man.Get more subs.I'm runnin 6 myself.Trying to figure out how to wire the last three KSP300's into the mix.I too was concerned about aesthetics so I bought black pair for the front and four mahogany for the rear.Wanted the rears to blend in well with cherry and mahogany furniture(Oh yeah,got a spare black too).Did the different finishes because I'm concerned how my room looks.I'm a part time infernal decorator,ya know?

On second thought CB, get the 30's. biggrin.gif

Keith

ok, as far as the theaters - our systems in usually much smaller rooms & w/ fewer listeners to satisfy should & do in most cases kick the arsses of most local picture houses. t-man makes a good point- w/ a lot of HT material they don't put a lot of real low bass in the surrounds or effects & it's not localizable anyway so why not route it to a good sub(s). but a klf-30 still puts out more spl for the localized bass than say an s6. & that would be especially good for music dvd & cds in 7 channel stereo (if that's your cup o' tea).

if i had cola's case, i'd put in klf-30 as rear surrounds, the s6 as surround A & another pair of the 30s as surround B (music only). believe that's what denon pretty much recommends in their manual too. best of all worlds there baby.

of course like my room, i'm figuring as using

the long walls for the s6(wdst), surround B 30s toed in @ 45 degrees in rear corners & surround rear 30s on the back short wall.

bitchin! oh & as keith says more subs. thanks for the vicarious experience guys! biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Have you thought about a pair of c-7's? Just a thought. I have KLF 30's for front, C-7 center and rear effects, s-6's for surround A (movies)and klf 20's for surround B (music). What's nice about the c-7's is they sound great and they can go up on a shelf.