FS: LaScala AL Crossovers

arcsound

On 4/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Here is some info on modding these to Type As from an old post:

AL Schematic - Mod to Type AA.jpg

AL Schematic - Photo w Type A Changes.jpg

Interesting, so with these mods it would become a 6dB (3dB?) simple LP/BP/HP, right?  

What were the declared benefits of this simpler configuration?  

Note: The reason these became available is that I replaced them with the Crite AA X-overs.  After changing one speaker, I spent some time listening and comparing, using L+R material.  The Crite sounded "clearer", like a veil was lifted.  They also seemed brighter, i.e. mid-high bump?  Anyway, I liked the new AAs, so didn't have a reason to keep the old ALs.  I might just try your mods, though, and do another A-B......  Thanks!

1 hour ago, arcsound said:

Interesting, so with these mods it would become a 6dB (3dB?) simple LP/BP/HP, right?  

What were the declared benefits of this simpler configuration?  

Note: The reason these became available is that I replaced them with the Crite AA X-overs.  After changing one speaker, I spent some time listening and comparing, using L+R material.  The Crite sounded "clearer", like a veil was lifted.  They also seemed brighter, i.e. mid-high bump?  Anyway, I liked the new AAs, so didn't have a reason to keep the old ALs.  I might just try your mods, though, and do another A-B......  Thanks!

No my project or figure.  This is from an old thread where a member changed the X over from a Type L to a Type A. 

You just bought A's so you should be good. 

A no cost experiment is to do the mods listed, but use one 2 uf for the tweeter and the 8 uf and two 2 uf (12 uf total - close to 13) for the midrange.

If you like this, there is a seller on ebay selling Russian POI caps on ebay where you should be able to get a 2 uf and 13 uf combination.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274330096200?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274330096200&targetid=1068484839522&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9030833&poi=&campaignid=11615952643&mkgroupid=114836832882&rlsatarget=pla-1068484839522&abcId=9300457&merchantid=101642595&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_LM-4GL8AIV4gl9Ch2U0wkdEAQYAyABEgLR1_D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10uF-160V-MBGO-2-Qty-2-Russian-PIO-Audio-Capacitor-NOS/254419198503?hash=item3b3c90e227:g:d64AAOSwFOldytBI

Type A.jpg

Thanks again for this info.  Noticed that the 125uH in the pic says "keep", but the drawing has an X through it?   Based on the Klipsch schematic, it looks like "remove" is correct.  

Hopefully these cross-overs will find a good home now!  

• Like 1