Active XO software, Learning Curve

VDS

I’ve had my Xilica up and running with my 2 way 402 MEH’s for about 2 weeks.  
I was nervous and intimidated at first, not knowing any about software of any sort, wondering if I would be able to adapt to the active XO software.  
With some help by @Chris A I got them up and running, then I moved them and changed amps!  I had to redo all settings. After a few hours I started to get the hang of basic frequency flattening, after a few more hours I was able to feel confident to reach +-3db. Now a few more hours and I’m getting +-2db. Obviously I still have a lot to learn, but at least I feel confident to achieve a relatively flat FQ if I make changes to my system.  And it’s a fun adventure, changing setting and seeing those changes reflected in REW graphs! 

Don’t be put off by active crossovers, the learning curve is manageable, it’s fun, and it really helps you understand amp/speaker relationship.
Now I understand why people, like myself, get on the amp merry-go-round.  Synergy is largely matching non adjustable crossovers to non adjustable amp EQ. 

if you’re hesitant about going active, like I was, I would recommend taking the leap.  It’s been a great experience for me, despite some bumps on the road.

Ill leave it to @Chris A and others to keep explaining the technical side of the advantages, I understand little of that, but I just want to reassure people that the transition to actives is manageable and interesting! 

• Like 1