reed suggestions? I'm at breaking point, please tell

prodj101

well, I was wondering if any sax or woodwin players out there have any reeds that consistantly work well. I am starting to go crazy looking for something that sounds good, and sounds good all the time. Even the really expensive reeds (45 bucks a box), almost always only have about 3 or 4 that work really well, and the rest are just semi decent. Reeds that I've tried are all of the vandorens, all the rico's, fiber reeds from Bari, Fibracell, and something else I can't remember. I've also used Queen's, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember, but none of them sound good! The best luck I've had are with the Vandoren Java line, which sound excellent if you can find the good ones in the box. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Have you tried posting this question in a reed instrument forum? Seems I ran into one when searching for reeds for my daughter. She's only in 6th grade, though, and only up to #3's. Rico Royals seem to work ok for her. BTW, saw a great band last night in SF, "The Asylum Street Spankers" from Austin, TX. Great clarinetist, Stanley Smith. Check 'em out.

fini

Thanks for the suggestion. But, as a side note, you might try having your daughter play on something less than 3's. I play on 2.5's, and some times 2 depending on the reed. For me, I can get a more full sound than with three's or higher. Alot of pro players play with 1.5's even, it all depends on the seound your going for. Just because you can play a harder reed doesn't mean you should.

doesn't she know that pitch can change from when you start playing to at the end (insturment changes size after getting warm), and that pitch can be ajusted by moving the mouth peice up or down on the neck? some teachers just suck. thats one of the reason I quit the band at our school. Now that was a teacher I just didn't like. It all started when I missed a jazz band practice, and the teacher threatend to "kick me out of the band" and than behind my back told the other kids that "if he's going to have that attitude I don't give a damn if he's in my band or not". So I confronted him about it, told him I was quiting, and he got really nervous, since we had a concert just the next week. That reallly got him going. THAN, about a month after that, we had a regular concert band performance, and on the same date, I was invited to play with some people from the Minnesota Chambers Orchestra. The choice was simple. I mean, you have the choice, play with crappy kids in the school band or with pro's and music that's actually good. Anyway, I chose to not go to our concert. This just threw him over the edge. He's like, "If you don't show up at that concert tonight, I swear to god I will flunk you for the whole next semester no matter how well you do!". To this I just said, "do it and see what I care", and with that walked out of the room. My mom really dislikes him too, so she didn't have ah uge problem with me dropping band and telling off the teacher. The fact that I completely underminded his authority really got him going. Anyway, I dropped band, and since than, he frowns at me all the time, and occasionaly asks me to join again, lol. 11.gif