K-55-V Vs Altec 288

Jim Cornell

OK

Sunday i went to Boulder, brought my conrad johnson tube amp with me.

I heard both drivers on tubes, my expeirence is this

The Altec 288 makes the K-55-s sound like a tweeter!

John Ellis, my freind is a VERY smart man, and he knows whats good, that day i saw and heard it myself.

He also heard Tubes for the first time EVER

That day we both learned a lot!

Well in the process he happened to give me 2 cute boxes that fit my 511s very well, SO

NOW i have them in the boxes he gave me, sitting on TOP of my ORIGINAL klipschorns!

When im caught up, ill be looking for Altec 902s, or 288s, for SURE!

Im just ganna go from the original Klipschorns, squawker output to the SEPARATE mod on top LOL!

I HAVE to have them!

I was ganna pick up a set of home made cornwall cabinets, but honeslty, i didnt want to build something that wouldnt copmare to what i have, so i decided to use the Altec drivers instead, and leaving the Klipschorns stock!

The K-55-V looked like a toy in comparison!

Regards Jim

What horns did you use with the 288s? Which 288s? If you use 288s with Khorns bassbins you're gonna have to pad the 288s way down, they are VERY efficient. Best to bi-amp and balance the levels with the active crossover controls. Don't assume a stock Klipsch or aftermarket Klipsch replacement passive crossover will work with the 288, the actual impedence at the crossover frequency will probably not be what the K-55 with K-400 impedence is at that same frequency.

I discourage the use of tweeters with Altec compression drivers be they 288s or the 1" drivers. The Altec highs are fine; well integrated and natural. If the 288s sound a little dull then use some EQ. The whole point of using VOT components is simplicity and well integrated, natural sound. A T-35 will screw that up. My opinion.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Then 288s were on a 511 horn, and i did hear that a tweeter prabably shouldnt be used with this driver!

But i also remember that the 288s are pure comercial, more like a klipsch pro line compareds to the home version!

Probably a smaller Altec driver would be more realistic, if i were to use one!

The 288 drivers weight 43 LBs each!

It also was very surprising how the K-77s sounded with the 288s!

Ill study more on this, for sure!

Ill have the stock K-55, 400 horn to compare it too, so when i do this, i for sure would know!

This comparison was a K-55 700 horn, that was a small horn, against the 288 511 horn!

I have to realize that too!

Regards Jim

Jim/Tom:

I thought I might post this question to both of you, since you both discuss Altec horn speakers frequently.

I have a friend who has a pair of Altec 511 horns mounted onto the 802-86 drivers and N501-8a crossovers.

He is not thinking of getting rid of these, but was wondering what they were worth. They have not been driven hard, maybe 25 times over the last 20 plus years.

He would consider parting with a pair of Cerwin Vega bass cabinets, B48MF (48" high, commercial application, wheels and handles) and a pair of Vega high horns, RMH1 (both sides of the horn are individually driven and they include 6 tweeter, classic red/orange colour). Both would make for one loud bar setup.

Would you know where to find out about their value (nothing on ebay or audiogon)?

Don

Jim,

I conversed with John many times during the early stages of his mega-slam project. What has happened to him?

----------------

On 12/17/2002 2:21:10 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

OK

Sunday i went to Boulder, brought my conrad johnson tube amp with me.

I heard both drivers on tubes, my expeirence is this

The Altec 288 makes the K-55-s sound like a tweeter!

John Ellis, my freind is a VERY smart man, and he knows whats good, that day i saw and heard it myself.

He also heard Tubes for the first time EVER

That day we both learned a lot!

Well in the process he happened to give me 2 cute boxes that fit my 511s very well, SO

NOW i have them in the boxes he gave me, sitting on TOP of my ORIGINAL klipschorns!

When im caught up, ill be looking for Altec 902s, or 288s, for SURE!

Im just ganna go from the original Klipschorns, squawker output to the SEPARATE mod on top LOL!

I HAVE to have them!

I was ganna pick up a set of home made cornwall cabinets, but honeslty, i didnt want to build something that wouldnt copmare to what i have, so i decided to use the Altec drivers instead, and leaving the Klipschorns stock!

The K-55-V looked like a toy in comparison!

Regards Jim
----------------

John Ellis. im sure pops in here, but hes mostly Altec, the only thing he has left of the cornwalls, is the woofer and tweeters!

E-mail me, ill ask if its ok to give you his #

Hes a cool guy, everything sounded great, we just never had my Klipschorns to compare side to side!

So im resting any mods till that day!

Also hes been working like 72 hours a week, i can hardly get ahold of him!

Regards Jim