Heresy HIP Refinishing

moxmonkey

Hi folks,

Since I was last around I've taken a bit of a leap into the Klipsch pool.  Started off by picking up a pair of Cornwall Is and just the other day a pair of Heresy HIPs.  The Heresy's function but cosmetically need a ton of work.  Does anyone have any advice on how to break them down to bare cabinets for refinishing?  The drivers have no external screws and the back panels wouldn't budge after removing all of the attached screws.  Would appreciate any advice before I end up trying to force something and causing damage.

• Like 1

Photos would help.

I had to look at my HIPs to confirm that the drivers are, indeed, attached to the motor-board from the rear.   My geriatric memory ain’t what it used to be.

The back panel MUST be removed.   I would screw a large wood, or sheetmetal, screw into one or more corner about 1.5 inches from each side.  The screw(s) can be used to pull that corner(s) away from the cabinet.  If a slide hammer is available, use that.

The panel can be easily repaired, or replaced, in the unlikely event it is damaged in the process.  Good luck and keep us posted.

48 minutes ago, moxmonkey said:

the back panels wouldn't budge after removing all of the attached screws.  Would appreciate any advice before I end up trying to force something and causing damage.

you have to pull the panel out , remove/unscrew  the crossover-binding posts rectangular  terminal cup , , the opening should give you enough grabbing power to  pull the panel out , easy does it now -

Heresey HIP (3).jpg