Klipsch KP-201-B/ HOw Can I drive Them?

tgallagh

I have 2 pair of these speakers. They were pulled out of our school gym and replaced a few years back with some newer EV's(done on bid). I have trouble getting any real power out of them. I have tried a few different amps with them but always seem to want more sound from them. I can't even get enough sound from them in a small room to adequately cover the space for my class. Is there something I may be doing wrong or is there a minimum wattage/resistance set up to make these nice sounding speakers produce some decibels? Let me know.

Tim Gallagher

tgallagh@mail.sctboces.org

607-594-3341 ext. 2072

I'm not following what you are asking. KP-201s are commercial HIIs, rated at 97 dB/watt. Placed in the 4 corners of the typical class room, 2 watts each should average 100 dB, give or take, all through the room. That's loud enough to cause hearing damage.

What are you using to drive them and how big is the room? Have you tested them to see if all of the drivers are functioning?

Heresies will not pound the room with bass. They cannot go deep enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am using a very hefty Crown amp to drive them. Seems like what you said was right but I still am nont sure why these do not put out a decent volume. Are there any places to get the tech manuals for these speakers? When were they made and what applications were they intended for? Any info would be great. Also, how much would they be worth, assuming that they really do work right? Let me know any insights you may have.

Tim Gallagher

There is really nothing special about driving KP201s. Like John already said, they are essentially the commercial cousins of the Heresy II. They were intended for commercial sound reinforcement applications, like the auditorium them came out of. So, they are more robust both physically and electrically than Heresy IIs. The specs are on the Klipsch site. You can do a search on "KP201" to find them. AFAIK there is no such thing as a tech manual although I am sure they came with some kind of short user manual. Not much technical to them. Hook them up via the binding posts or the Neutrik Speakon connector and you are in business.

Connect them to any amplifier with more than about 10W per channel, and if everything is working properly, you won't be able to stay in the typical music room when they are at full volume. Most of the time they will probably be using less than 1W. So, I suspect you have a fault in one or more of the following: speakers, wiring, amplifier, source. Operator error is always another possibility. Do you have another pair of speakers or another amplifier you can use to troubleshoot?

Best place to get an idea of value would be eBay. They show up from time to time there. My guess is they are worth somewhere around $400/pair if they are in good working order.

• 2 years later...

Hello forum,

I'm New to the group, and I've Got a toe into the Klipsch world trying to find a starter P.A. for my childs teen aged band. My child is the drummer, so as the parent of the drummer I've learned; the practices happen at your house (drums don't move easily). AND If involved at all with a beginning band, you find yourself being the "glue," and filling in the equipment gaps.

I was thrilled to find a single KP201, the "commercial Heresy" at the local music store. I thought it wouldn't be too mismatched with a E.V. PA speaker of about the same size. To my great disapointment...it doesn't hold a candle to the EV for sound level. My Kenwood paper cone 3 way totally drowns it out as well. The Tom G. post of some time ago sums it up well. No volume, no matter what you dump into it. It doesn't even sound that good.

Q: Is there a component in the X over that can fail and allow all of the speaker drivers to operate but at a "limp" compaired to the standard high output.

Q: Does the woofer preform "that" different then the home version? Is it set up this way to allow more power handling and durability? I noticed it has a little 2A hairline wire & glass fuse that looks good.

I am thinking of taking it back to exchange for the matched EV (even though the EV's are a woofer in a box only and will need a horn added).

>>>IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SOME EXPERIENCE WITH THE KP-201s?

>>>I COULD REALLY USE A QUICK OPINION IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS to decide weather to load up tonight for the return tomarrow!

I think I'll try to get a look inside at the crossover to see if there is a "smoking gun" there.

Hoping to stay KLIPSCH.

Thanx ahead, Jim mn Lincoln.

Your speakers are either damaged or were improperly repaired.

The KP-201 has a minimum impedance of 4.5 ohms, so two per channel on a newer Crown may be too much. If you have a Power Base 1, Power Tech 1, or a D150 it will blow up.

I used to put sets of four of these in bars with a 50 watt NAD to drive them and they can rip your face off.

Get them looked at, and get a different amp (no more than 100 watts).

Take apart the tweeters and see if the voice coil is dis-colored, add a #561 dome lamp in series.

Make sure the woofers all work and they are in phase. If a woofer does not work it will cause the amplifier to shut down or blow up! Check the 33µF cap in parallel with each woofer. Examine the woofer inductor. If the wire is dis-colored, replace.

">>>IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SOME EXPERIENCE WITH THE KP-201s?

>>>I COULD REALLY USE A QUICK OPINION IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS to decide weather to load up tonight for the return tomarrow!

I think I'll try to get a look inside at the crossover to see if there is a "smoking gun" there."

Get rid of the KP-201s and get some HIP (Heresy Industrial Ported). They use the EVM12 woofer and are 100dB+ and will handle over 200W. Use an electronic crossover of 24dB at 150hz to subwoofers.

• 3 years later...

There is not a lot of bass to any of the Klipsch 12" PA speakers. They are pretty efficient and smooth for their size however. To my ears, the KP201 sounds smoother than H II, I think possibly because of a different crossover network.

I prefer the KP201 to Kp250 or HIP because the ported designs of the last two sacrifice what little low end there is for more efficiency. Nearly all of these were really meant to be used with a subwoofer for more full range sound.

M