Help Setting Up Surround System

digregorioj

I have am running Klipsch XL-23's as front and center speakers, Klipsch RIC-65 for rear ceiling mounts and have an XW-500D Subwoofer.   In my last house it took me about a week to dial it in.  However, when we moved I didn't write any of the settings down.  I have spent about 6 hours playing around with it and can't figure out what settings I should use with my receiver.   Should I set the XL-23's to small or larger - if small what crossover should I set on the sub and receiver.   Also the sub volume goes from -38 to +10 - currently I have it set at -6 and it still has too much base for music and not enough for movies - I also have the sub set to +2 db on the receiver.   I have tried the automatic calibration but is sounds like crap.    I have now had this same setup in 3 houses and this is the most trouble I have had setting it up.   Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Hey Billybob

The receiver is a piece of crap Sony - 770 model - it doesn't have 1/10th the sound fields as my old one.    I think I found the issue last night.  When I did the calibration I set it to engineered - changing to to front reference yielded much better results.  I am still dialing it in but getting closer.   The sub is a Klipsch XW-500D.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digregorioj said:

Hey Billybob

The receiver is a piece of crap Sony - 770 model - it doesn't have 1/10th the sound fields as my old one.    I think I found the issue last night.  When I did the calibration I set it to engineered - changing to to front reference yielded much better results.  I am still dialing it in but getting closer.   The sub is a Klipsch XW-500D.   

Lol, whatever works. Like a member said, @willland, sub hits beyond its size. Let know please...

1 hour ago, digregorioj said:

Okay - so I finally have it tuned - under calibration on the receiver is engineered and front reference.   Selected front reference and it sounds great.  I have watched two movies and two concert BluRays over the past week and they all sounded amazing

Excellent!