Heresy woofer upgrade

paul burke

I read with interest talk of replacement woofers for 'heresy' speakers. My speakers were purchased in 1976 or 77 (so last millenium)and the cones have deteriorated. There are a few small perforations along the cone's edge. What I want to know is: Can I get these speakers reconed rather than replaced.It seems to me this would mean little or no change to the speaker's characteristics. please tell me if I am wrong. thanks.

PS. these speakers were my first purchase after finishing school and hold considerable sentimental value.1.gif

Paul,

Yes, there are numerous facilities that can re-cone those for you. I am not sure if Klipsch still does it though. There is also the option of purchasing new ones or used ones...lots of eBay "speaker ghouls" are gutting out Heresys in order to get more for the parts than for the complete speakers, sadly!

I am kinda surprised your woofers have deteriorated like that. That seldom occurs on ones even MUCH older than yours. They must have been wet or something at one time, and/or been exposed to direct sunlight...or regularly overdriven...since that is normally the case in these situations. My own Heresys are 1978 ones and no problem at all with the woofers...so far!

If you can get your woofers reconed with original factory parts, they should sound like new. My guess is that this will not be possible. In that case, the results are going to depend on how closely the reconer can match generic parts to your woofer. He will have to match mass, cone stiffness, mechanical compliance, voice coil impedance and a bunch of other things to get it right. IMHO you will be better off finding a good used pair of the same vintage, or buying a pair of K-24s, the current replacement, from Klipsch.

FWIW Klipsch used a lot of different woofers in the Heresy over the years with Thiele-Small parameters that varied a lot. Some of them were better suited for use in ported designs than acoustic suspension designs. But, they all sound remarkably alike to me. The primary difference I have found is that the later ones can be played louder because they have a larger Xmax and thermal power limit.

Having the woofer model and a pic of it will allow for determining the manufacturer of it. At the time of your Heresy manufacture, the woofer was probably one from Eminence...and replacement cones for them should be readily available. There is also the option of just getting replacements from Klipsch...they may not be the exact same model/mfg, but they will sound so close you probably won't ever notice any difference in the performance. Again, remember that there are always many in excellent condition showing up on eBay and such. What you end up doing is your decision.