CF-3 problem

ricguitar

I own a pair of CF-3's for my fronts and Heresey's for my rears in a two channel bi-amped system....One of my CF-3's has developed a problem and after troubleshooting this is what I found.....one woofer is going bad...I believe the voice coil is rubbing...makes a distorted rattling sound at heavy bass passages....secondly..the cabinet itself is vibrating on the rear pannel sounding like someone is knocking at my door....I can put hand pressure on the back and it will stop.....very strange..these cabinets are built like a tank.....just wondering if anyone has encountered any similar problems with their CF-3's...My Heresey's are from 1984 and sound just as good as the day I bought them...thanks for any suggestions and tips...

• 2 weeks later...

Better hope the woofer aint bad brother, Klipsch aint got no more !

I would contact trey cannon in tech support, perhaps he can help.

I own CF 3 and CF 4's, and I love them, they are well worth fixing IF, and ONLY if they are version one or version 2 with the neo woofer magnets.

Trey will help you, perhaps the woofers can be repaired?

well...one of the woofers in my CF-3's is blown, it still works, but only at very deep bass passages it sounds like it's rattling....I removed the woofer in question and played the same music and the rattling sound was not present..I examed the woofer and discovered that the voice coil indeed is questionable....sounds like it is rubbing when I gently move the cone with my hand....it is a k-1030-kn dated apr 9, 1996...klipsch says they have plenty in stock but they aint cheap...$135.00..as far as the cabinet itself goes...the back panel came loose from the side panel and I fixed it with a little glue and a wood brace inside the cab...thanks for the response...I'm debating going with the same woofer or finding a suitable substitute...any thoughts?