Oh yes, the Great Amplifier question

wvuvt1

On 1/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, wvuvt1 said:

Thanks a lot for this advice, this makes sense. I think just looking at watts is a rookie temptation I will have to remind myself to try and avoid. But what do you look for when trying to see if an amp is high "quality". Maybe the total harmonic distortion (THD)?

Thank you so much, such a thoughtful response

I have gone back and looked at all the respective spec sheets for the AMPs I was considering, some of the manufacturing labeling is quite deceiving. Looking at RMS over the correct range of 20-20k hz is key, I can see where sometimes it is very confusing (possibly on purpose).

I took your advice and looking back at the emotiva, they thankfully list their models at 20-20k hz. The BasX A2 model drives 160 w over 2 channels driven and the aforementioned XPA-2 model drives 300 watts (also listed over the 20-20Hz). I think I'm going to go with the Emotiva, they seem to just have more power than other companies and are quite transparent with their numbers which I like. It seems like all their amps also have THD <.1 so I don't think im sacrificing much quality either

You say you like the Emotiva, but you posted two AMPs, which one do you prefer? I bought the updated BasX A2 160w for Klipsch newer RP-8000F II, I think I should have went with the bigger one, no headroom, seems like I'm pushing it, already blew a tweeter (twice):(

Edited by Kazz

On 3/13/2024 at 12:24 PM, jcn3 said:

just curious -- how loud are you listening?  too many watts will fry a driver, but so will distortion.

I like to push them loud, aka, house party. Like klipsch says, piss off your neighbors, Loud and Proud

Sounds like new speakers that can play louder may be the way to go.  I can play on my 2 channel system at 45, 75 or 100 watts.  The difference in spl is 3 db.  Go to 200 watt add 3 more db.  Amp powers runs out fast at high spl.  Easier to get bigger speakers.  High spl can cause hearing damage?