HP 7562A logarithmic voltmeter

John Warren

I had one and managed to score a second.  They express voltage on a log scale allowing 5 decades to be captured on the swing of the needle pointer.  Useful to measure voltage across a load resistor for amplifiers under test.  The right unit is the first issue, 1968, all gold traces.  The left unit is the last year of manufacture, 1976, Pb-Sn traces.  That unit also needs a knob, which I found on-line and ordered!

Measures both VAC and VDC from 1mV to 100V and dB equivalents.

HP_7562A_log_converter.thumb.jpg.241bb0f636209b3996b6208daf7b25dd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Warren said:

Useful to measure voltage across a load resistor for amplifiers under test.  

Nice!  I assume you can also measure voltage across crossover outputs?  I'm going to build a new crossover for my Heresy's, but was curious what the current E2 crossover was doing.  I'm using REW to do the sweep/measure, and this is what I got.  Would be nice to have one of those devices to verify my results.

Red amp, upper green woofer, blue squawker, lower green tweeter.

Screenshot (110).png

• Like 1

John,

Slightly off topic but something that I have been thinking about in the last few days.  I want to get a better VOM meter.  What do you recommend? I want one for a 'clean' toolbox that I use for electronics, crossover building, etc. I am a hobbyist, so nothing too fancy (expensive).   I saw some Youtube videos and they guy had a Ryobli TEC4 that looked nice.  Don't know budget.

I have a few throw away free meters from Harbor Freight and a Velleman dvm850bl meter (now around $30 - about $60 when I bought it) for working in dirt places, outside, landscaping etc.  But at a short it shows 0.5 ohm and you turn a dial instead of an on off switch, so not the best meter.

What do you recommend?  I can move to a different thread if you like.