DVD movie DTS audio tracks don't work

wallst32

I tried to play the DTS audio track from The Gladiator and Shrek DVDs (both R1). Both give me combinations of skipping sounds, static, and no sound. With The Gladiator, the "DTS" indicator on the DD-5.1 LCD flickers on and off; for Shrek, "DTS" stays solid on.

Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks play just fine.

My setup:

Windows XP SP1

SB Audigy OEM

Klipsch Promedia 5.1

Klipsch Promedia DD-5.1

Cyberlink PowerDVD 4.0 XP (1181 Patch)

SB Audigy SPDIF 1/8" mini jack to DD-5.1 SPDIF RCA

My first question is should DTS tracks play with my configuration? And if so, any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

----------------

On 1/1/2003 8:41:14 PM brothenberg wrote:

you need to buy the DTS audio pack for powerdvd..

----------------

Sorry you are wrong. PowerDVD needs to be set to send the sound out digitally and not decoder. The sound card should be set to digital output only.

Thanks for the information brothenberg and justin_tx_16. My PowerDVD shows the DTS logo on the main splash screen when it starts up, so I thought support was included. Only 2 or 3 of the 40-50 DVD movies I own have a DTS track, so I don't even know if it's worth buying the addon pack. It just would have been nice to try it out.

Justin_tx_16: I'm not sure what you're referring to in your last comment, but should it read "soundcard should be set to DIGITAL output only"?

Thanks again.