choices, choices...

lancestorm

I hope some of you can provide some suggestions. Currently I am looking to jump into home theater with a bang. I am currently looking to purchase RF 3-II's for the fronts, RB-3 surrounds, RC-3 center, with a SVC 16-46 CS sub (run on a Samson S-700 sub). I am probably going to power the Klipsch's with a Denon AVR-3803. This is where I need your help. I love movies. Love 'em, love 'em. And I want to go digital projection widescreen (minimum 50'). The problem is that a lot of my standard tv will be in 4:3 and so will my Xbox/Gamecube. I am very, very worried about ghost images of vertical bars (from viewing in 4:3 mode more often than using widescreen movies). I was looking at LCD monitors, but those are pretty expensive. I noticed a Philips Matchline series monitor that has APAC technology (shifts image so all pixels burn in at the same time). Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/types/anything that I should be looking at given my problems above? I am looking in the $3000 price range max so I can afford these Klipsch's, yo :).

----------------

On 12/28/2002 11:40:06 PM John Albright wrote:

The bars are black, meaning no phosphors are lit. You cannot burn the screen/tube where it is not lit.

----------------

This is completely untrue, at least for projection-based tv's, which is what I am looking to get. If I have a widescreen digital projection-based tv and throw in a 4:3 movie or play a 4:3 game for an extended period of time there will be burn in of the black vertical bars on the side. This will easily be proved by later watching a movie in 16:9 and noticing that the movie is darker on the sides where the vertical bars were in the 4:3 mode.

7.gif

Hi, Given your criteria, I'd suggest you look at the new generation of 4:3 aspect RPTV's. Most of them now have an automatic widescreen mode that switches in when 16:9 movies or HDTV are sent to the set.

The widescreen mode may loose a tiny bit of picture quality for DVD's but I've had my 61" RPTV from Toshiba since 1999, and it still looks great when watching DVD's.

I also watch some HDTV on my set in 1080i, but the bulk of our family watching is still 4:3 material off of direct satellite feed.

While you can't eliminate the risk of burn in, you can certainly minimise it by carefully setting the contrast, and brightness of the set to sane levels... My Contrast is now always at about 30%, and the Brightness remains at 50%.

The good news is that the 4:3 aspect RPTV's are often at least $1000.00 US less than the comparable widescreen sets...

If you do get a widescreen from Toshiba or the other vendors, you have the option of using one of the stretch modes in the set to watch broadcast 4:3 tv... Many who do this say that after a week or so, you don't even notice the effect of the stretch modes... I'm not sure how the stretch mode would look for gaming though...

I'm not familiar with the set you refer to... I'd suggest www.avsforum.com as a great reference site for all things video.

Good luck.