Anyone familiar with this SET amp?

robforst1

SE-1 Signature Single-ended Triode Power Amplifier

The Audio Electronic Supply model SE-1 triode single-ended amplifier was first designed in December 1993. The SE-1 was released to the marketplace in early 1994 and in short order became one of the most sought after single-ended amplifiers in the audiophile community. The popularity of the SE-1 has spread throughout the entire world. In fact, the SE-1 is inspiring audio club user groups and modification tweak books. The SE-1 is satisfying music lovers' desire for an emotional music encounter on a daily basis.

With a number of years of experience and thousands of satisfied customers, Audio Electronic Supply is now producing an upscale version of the famous SE-1. The new model is referred to as the SE-1 Signature. The Signature version has the following unique features:

6SN7 gain stage

6SN7 driver mu-follower tubes

Direct coupling of input 6SN7 tube to the mu-follower driver circuit

Oil filled coupling caps

Copper output speaker posts

Soft shoe larger isolation feet

The SE-1 Signature is extremely dynamic, has tight bass, and offers all the midrange sweetness of the standard SE-1. The output impedance is lower on the signature and will handle a much wider range of real world loudspeakers. The SE-1 Signature will drive just about any loudspeaker on the market with a SPL rating of 89dB or higher and an impedance range of 4 to 12 Ohms.

Kit Factory Assembled

No Output Tubes $849.00 $1,049.00

With China 300B Tubes $1,049.00 $1,249.00

With WE 300B Tubes $1,649.00 $1,849.00

With China 2A3 Tubes $909.00 $1,109.00

With Sovtek 2A3 Tubes $949.00 $1,149.00

Specifications

Weight: 31 lbs.

Dimensions: 7 5/8" H x 14" W x 10" D

Circuit Type: Single-ended Class A

Power Output: 7 Watts

Input Sensitivity: .75V

Input Impedance: 150K Ohms

Noise and Hum: -74dB

Frequency Response: Tube Complement: 3Ð6SN7, 2Ð300B or 2A3

AC Power 117V or 220V @ 50Ð60Hz

Power Consumption: 88 Watts

AES is owned by Cary. It allows Dennis Had to sell without violating long term agreements with distributors of the Cary products. In other words -- he can sell these online.

You don't the get the fancy asthetics of the Cary gear, but you get the guts. I'm sure this amp sounds very good. This nifty little piece has some other fine benefits as well...

"The SE-1 Signature is extremely dynamic, has tight bass, and offers all the midrange sweetness of the standard SE-1. The output impedance is lower on the signature and will handle a much wider range of real world loudspeakers. The SE-1 Signature will drive just about any loudspeaker on the market with a SPL rating of 89dB or higher and an impedance range of 4 to 12 Ohms."

SE-1.jpg

It's an ok stereo SET amp and the output can be upgraded to MagneQuest for even better sonics. It gets good reviews across the board. Nice to have a flexible amp for use of 300B and 2A3. Personally, I would only opt for it used at a big discount.

To be honest, the Wright Sound 3.5 2A3 Monoblocks used are a better deal in that you get the extra chassis and MagneQuest TFA-204 output transformers. The Wright Sound 3.5 used around $900-975 with good tubes will sound more refined with better extension as well. I rank it as one of the best under $1000 used SET amps around, especially if you have 98dB and above Heritage. As I have said in the past, it's a no brainer purchase as you can sell them for the same as your purchase price. They rarely last over 24 hours without being snatched up.

kh

Indeed. AudiogoN is my favorite place to buy and sell used tube gear. On the whole, I find the members knowledgable with a penchant for taking care of their gear. Obviously, all the same rules apply as you have to email and feel the lad out. But more often than not, the deal is a very good one. I dont think I would actually buy a NEW amp these days. The only time I would buy NEW is a custom hand crafted amp I couldnt find anywhere else, a kit amp that I wanted to build, or something like a phono cartridge, where a used purchase is even more of a gamble.

And I would NOT buy the AES AE-1 unless USED since it is often discounted to around $600-650 which is an ok deal. I just dont think it's at the level of something like the Wright sound 3.5, let alone the more powerful sounding Moondogs.

kh