Audio Test DVD

erikjohn

guys,

I'm not looking for anything to set up my tv picture with. You don't need those things, just a little patience and a good source. As I said NBC network feed has very good color and sharpness for setup. I didn't like the picture setup I got from the S&V disc, you need to add a little more hue and contrast to the picture. I like the blacks to be jet black and the colors to be vibrant. The disk made the blacks greyish and colors were a bit dull. It is possible to get great color and extreme black level and not have any bleedover. Anyway I ended going back and re-adjusting it. The disc is good if you want to set sharpness but if you can handle setting the color without the disc you can get the sharpness right. When I checked mine it was on.

Anyway,I am looking for a disc in 5.1 that has all of the frequency test tones for audio. Something that spans the frequency range from high to low and that can be set to emit from any one of the 5.1 speakers. Does this disc exist?

EJ1.gif

EJ,

I use Sterophile's frequency test CDs. They won't help you with 5.1. I use them when trying different base horns, drivers and midrange horns.

You could plug your surrounds, center channel and such into your main channel outputs to see how the

different frequencies react to your room and speaker placement.

As you know your receiever has some limited test tones for all your speakes. I take it that there arn't enough for what your trying to do.

Q.

Seems expensive to me when you can get the venerable Stereophile Test CD One for about the same scratch, plus it comes with some excellent sample recordings, and a nice little booklet explaining the whys and wherefores of recording. The first one is basic while the last one offers more modern tests for home theater systems. (https://secure.stereophile.com/stereophile/recordings.shtml) The sample give you some very good ideas about how things really sound.