Velodyne CHT or SVS PCi?

drdiaboloco

Saw (but didn't have the time to listen to) a Velodyne CHT-12 sub at Circuit City yesterday. After a little poking around I see that the CHT-12 can be had for under $400 online... And the -15 for about $500.

The rub, of course, is that the SVS PCi series is about $150-200 more (depending upon model), and of course I can't listen to an SVS.

I really don't want to spend over $500 for a sub, so even the least expensive powered SVS will still come in over that total, and that's without shipping. Anyhoo... Y'all figger that the SVS is really worth it as compared to the cheaper "good" subs? And please, no pontificating about how subs in this price range are all useless and horrible.

Thanks.

I also saw, but did not hear the Velodyne CHT12, just a few days ago. My mom was with me beause we were ecchanging something , and she has no interest in speakers, thinks I have too many now, and won't let me listen to new ones. 1.gif

Here are the specs for the CHT12, in case you didnt look them up yet:

They look close... though I am not sure at all which one would have more output- probably the SVS, but the Velodyne would probably be great.

I have some experience that might help you. I owned the CT-120 (the predecessor to the CHT-120). I must admit that it was a fantastic sub in its price range -- built like a tank (weighed 60 pounds, for heaven's sake). Strong output.

Then, someone near me sold their 20-39 PC SVS sub. Bought it and a/b'd the subs. As good as the Velo was, the SVS was just a better sub -- stronger, cleaner, deeper. Granted, that was the 39" model. Not sure how the 25-31 would stack up, but I'll bet it's still a better sub than the CHT-120...

DD

Velodyne CHT VS SVS PC or CS

The SVS trounces the Velodyne CHT series.Even the CHT-15 is no match for the least expensive SVS.In any test.Unless you must have a cube sub.

The "real" Velodyne subs in my view are the HGS and SPL series.

So the answer is...SVS

Go for the SVS! It is worth every penny9.gif . The 25-31, actually has more SPL output than the 20-39(just doesn't go as low). If you do choose to go with SVS, you can have your 25-31 tuned to 22HZ, esentially making it a 22-31, at no extra charge. Just make sure to specify that when ordering.