DVD for my Home Theater

pzs22

I have a JVC XV-S65G DVD Player. I paid something like $180 for it at Circuit City, but that was last winter. It is progressive scan, can play CD-RW w/ MP3s and so forth. It produces a very nice picture and seem to sound really good also. However, it is not SACD or DVD-A capable. Also, I have encountered one problem with it with regards to the extended edition of Lord of the Rings. One the second disk, about 53 minutes it, the screen goea all "funky" and breaks up. I think the player is having trouble with switching layers. Interesting that I only have those problems with that one disk and all others I tried played flawlessly. The Pioneer Elite DVD-45A that I also tried played that LotR disk flawlessly, but than again, that is a $500 player.

Also, doesn't Toshiba as well as Sony also make a good progressive-scan DVD player for around $200?

With a little shopping around, you should be able to find a good DVD player for that price range.

i bought my son a sony, top of the line in the 200 range, loaded with features, almost as much as my rotel, but remember a 200 machine will play like a 200 machine, and these klipsches will pick up on that, i have had to learn that the hard way, time after time after time, so save yourself time money and heart ache, buy what you really like. it might take a little longer, but you will be happy for your decision, there many fine machines for under 500, plus wait 2 months, the next generation is about to come out, who knows, the next generation will cause the last generation to cost less12.gif

The Sony 650 that I'm using is a great entry level SACD/DVD. It can be found at CC or Best Buy for under $200. It has smooth audio playback that is better than the DAC in my pre-amp, but seriously lacks the sound stage of higher priced units.

For the price I'd call it a good unit.

Everybody is cleaning out the last Panasonic cp72 units, at around $225, less $30 rebate. Seems like nothing comes close for the money. I'm trying to locate one now, no availability at local stores, that's saying something, considering its Panasonic (wide availability, no dis on panny).