Outdated Stuff - Worth Upgrading or get rid of?

Ian423

I purchased my speakers and AVR ~ 11 years ago. After sitting in boxes for years I'm finally in a position (i.e. will be stationary long enough) to buy a new TV and hook everything back up. A lot of technology has changed since my initial purchases and I'm debating what is worthwhile or necessary. My current speakers are:

- Towers: Klipsch KF-28, 150w RMS/ 600w Peak

- Center: Klipsch KS-14 50w RMS / 400w Peak

- Rear: Klipsch KS-14 50w RMS / 200w Peak

- Sub: Klipsch SW-350

- AVR: Denon AVR-1913, 7.1, 90w/channel

My recent initial research tells me my AVR is underpowered for the speakers & I need a dedicated amp. My AVR also doesn't have Pre-Outs so I would need to upgrade to a newer AVR in order to hook up a dedicated amp. Also my AVR does not have eARC , Dolby Atmos, or DTSX.

Question:

- Is there something I could/should purchase to enhance the limitations of my current audio (< $600)?

- Is it dumb to buy a newer TV since the audio system is dated?

- Is none of this big heavy crap worth carrying around and should I just sell and just buy a sound bar? (Hint: you'll hurt my only feeling if yes to this, I've moved these speakers 10+ times since I boxed them and they are heavy AF lol)

Any recommendations are appreciated, I'm technologically dumb. Thanks,

• Like 1

Welcome! Would sure do some research on the TV, as that technology has continued advance. 

I would reward myself by hooking everything back up first just to see. That AVR should work well enough with what you have for the time being, even with older TV.

And yes sure, get some recommendations on a newer system.

Think you need to reconnect with your system and after abit, you can answer your own question. Folk are still using and looking for Klipsch Reference speakers from 20 years ago.

How big is your room and, how big a screen for size TV will likely play into or answer this.

Thanks  @Ian423

@Ian423   I think your setup is perfect , the amp is 90 wpc   which is very sufficient to power the speakers you have   ,   I would hook it all up , and then see  how it sounds , then evaluate if you need a more powerful AVR  , and by the way , the bigger the TV the better ,  55 inches or more 

Thanks for the inputs. I can hook up the speakers but currently don't have a TV to connect them to.

I've been researching TVs recently which lead into the audio side of things. I was torn between a 77" LG C1 OLED or a 85" Samsung QN90A QLED. I hesitated too long and now neither are available locally at the sale price that was running this month ($2,600 for the LG and $2,300 for the Samsung).

The room is less then ideal but it's what I have. The room is approximately 13ft x 20ft. The TV needs to be slightly off-centered on the 13ft wall and the seating will be approximately 12ft from the TV. There are stairs on the back wall opposite the TV, with floor to ceiling mirrors. Given the wonky layout I'll probably have the surround speakers on a table immediately behind the couch.

I recently read the AVR should produce enough watts per channel for the front towers. Since my AVR is 90w / channel and my towers are 150w I thought this was an issue that should be addressed?

Capture - Front Wall.PNG

Edited by Ian423
added photos of room
  • Like 1

Thanks for confirming. People online mentioned potential to damage the speakers if they are unpowered, but if that's not a concern then I'll keep going forward.

Time to unbox the speakers... hopefully I didn't miss out on the last year model TVs and they come back in stock 🤘

• Like 1