Audiophile Nervosa..atta boy Craig!

cornwaller

I for one am impressed with the concept and look of Craig's Site. I can't wait for the contents.

I cannot help but wonder if he has a secret cure for the "nervosa"....maybe a good dose of common sense??

Maybe the same sensiblity that some of us lost when we scrapped our "old tubes" for Mr. Transistor?.........Now for a question:

Is the new retro gear really that much better than the original?

Cornwaller

----------------

On 1/6/2003 9:53:03 PM cornwaller wrote:

I cannot help but wonder if he has a secret cure for the "nervosa"....maybe a good dose of common sense??

----------------

The cure is right on the site. "The Music comes first." Now take 100db and call Dr.Craig in the morning.

It's a strange pairing and one most on here for the past year would find really surprising. Craig solder slinging while his ole pal "mobile homeless" pens the text and site. Craig and I would argue without fail over all sorts of matters ranging from the merit of quality turntables and SET amps to the infamous EICO vs Scott debates.

Ironically enough, we get along great and both love tube amplification even if we have different vantage points and views that come to head at times. In person, there is a lot of kidding and bantering that goes on. Craig is very down to earth and REALLY loves what he is doing now; you can sense a genuine excitement for messing with this vintage gear and getting it as good as it can be. Judging from the quality of work and attention to detail, I see good things from this new undertaking. I wouldnt have gotten involved if I didnt think he really was into this 100% and in every conversation I have had, he exhibits these qualities.

The idea about which is better, the vintage or the modern tube amp, I really think there is good in both camps. Some of the modern gear can achieve a more neutral open quality that some of the vintage options lack. On the other hand, I believe many of the modern push pull amps dont have the soul, natural detail, and ultimate musicality as the better vintage options. In addition, the run of the mill transformers that are optioned with most mid-price tube amps these days do not hold a candle to the output transformers in the heyday of tube audio. I am also more in favor of tube rectification which is not a common option on any of the push pull amps from mainstream tube manufacturers.

I think some of the best modern gear is coming from the small companies who have more of a passion. While good deals are available from the likes of ASL, Jolida, and other mid-price options, these are not sonically superior to the best smaller companies or the well-chosen vintage options from the likes of EICO, Scott, Pilot, HK, Leak, etc. Modern solutions like Wright Sound, Bottlehead, Fi, Welborne Labs, Wavelength Audio and others (I cant forget Pantheon)are really putting out some nice stuff. Some are more musical than others; some tend to stress HIFI over the music, some have a good balance. I love ultimate resolution and detail but can not sacrifice musicality and an inherent connection to the music that some of the hi-end tube options lack, ie Audio Research, BAT, Joule-electra etc.

I think a well chosen, up to spec, vintage amp with quality parts, chosen for performance and musical value can better a good percetage of the modern mid-fi tube options in the important areas. I have had some very expensive gear, both tube and solid state move through my house, and a good portion of the spectrum is outclassed by my late 50s-mid 60s vintage amps/integrateds. Of course, the vintage option does need a going over which is where someone you can trust is ALL important. I have come to realize that Craig is just such a person if taking the vintage approach. And many that opt for the vintage solution later find solace in moving to SET amps as another option as it's a very different presentation. Personally speaking, I would take vintage push pull and modern SET amps. And I have done just that.

kh

Very well put, Kelly.

I think one of the major things you point out is>>> I am also more in favor of tube rectification.

That tube, be it a GZ34/37/5AR4 or EZ81/6CA4 is hard to beat with a diode. Even though my Eico ST70 is 7591 output I believe most of its magic comes from the 5AR4 rectifier(and the 6SN7GT's up front).

Yea guy's when it comes to the sight the only part I had a faint part in was the Equipment text. I basically gave Kelly free rain over what to do here told him what I was interested in and let him run with it. I believe in letting the expert do his job !! After all isn't that what you pay them for !!

I'm really hoping to put together a modern Push Pull stereo power amp for sale within the next year. Which I'm sure will take some trial and error on parts selection but should be fun. I figure if I can put a nice looking, great sound 15 watt per channel amp that's tube rectified together with a price point of $800 it would be a hit. Only time and money will tell though !!

Craig