Apply varnish - bristl ebrush or foam brush

tigerwoodKhorns

I have been using water based polyurethane to refinish speakers and like the cleanup.

I want to refinish a record cabinet that I made years ago and have several old cans of varnish. The thought of cleanup with mineral spirits sounds like a lot of work, maybe not, have not done it in years.  What do you use, bristle brush or disposable foam brushes?  Does the varnish flow well enough to come out smooth (I know, sand between coats)?

I'm being totally serious and sharing my professional (ended in`99) opinion here. With all the varnish, Impervo or any other alkyd there are some well known facts.

Stir don't shake the poly or other varnish or you will put the bubbles into your finish.

Use these:

One 4 is for alkyd paint the other for varnishes & stains.

PXL-20220821-000942712.jpg

Then clean properly. 

Not sure how pricey they are now. Those are all from the 90s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I'm being totally serious and sharing my professional (ended in`99) opinion here. With all the varnish, Impervo or any other alkyd there are some well known facts.

Stir don't shake the poly or other varnish or you will put the bubbles into your finish.

Use these:

One 4 is for alkyd paint the other for varnishes & stains.

PXL-20220821-000942712.jpg

Then clean properly. 

Not sure how pricey they are now. Those are all from the 90s.

$13 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Z1120-3-Paintbrush-3-Inch/dp/B00002N908/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2NQAMP5SUNTST&keywords=china+bristle&qid=1661044762&sprefix=china+bristle%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-2

What can I substitute for mineral spirits?  Can I use paint thinner?  I have quite a bit.

No go on the disposable brushes?  I checked and I have a lot of them. 

• Like 1

Paint thinner is ok for regular alkyd varnishes. Just keep doing it until it comes away clear.

Forget to say with those excellent brushes if you do not rush you will get a smooth finish commiserate with your abilities.

& as long as you've kept those cans inside your home they should be alright if sealed up well. If possibly below freezing or above 100 for hours on end for even one season it's shot buy more.

Disposables are good for Ospho... not much more.

Remember, the opposite of 007 stir don't shake!

Have fun with your newest project @tigerwoodKhorns!

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Paint thinner is ok for regular alkyd varnishes. Just keep doing it until it comes away clear.

Forget to say with those excellent brushes if you do not rush you will get a smooth finish commiserate with your abilities.

& as long as you've kept those cans inside your home they should be alright if sealed up well. If possibly below freezing or above 100 for hours on end for even one season it's shot buy more.

Disposables are good for Ospho... not much more.

Remember, the opposite of 007 stir don't shake!

Have fun with your newest project @tigerwoodKhorns!

I need to check but the varnish is likely shot.  I will try to use it with a disposable on a scrap of wood. 

I just checked and my 'good brush' that I use for polyurethane is an old Wooster pro that I bought years ago.  I don't see it anymore, but which one do I need for poly as I'd like to have a second and third to put on additional coats while the first one is drying. 

The poly seems to flow well.  Is this what I need, a very soft one for a smooth finish?    I'd like to get a few more brushes and at this price it is a no brainer. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-5221-2-1-Silver-Paintbrush/dp/B000W7CNBU/ref=psdc_282486_t1_B000IKQSI0

Is this one worth twice the price?   Still affordable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-4170-2-1-Lindbeck-Paintbrush/dp/B000IKPSE0?ref_=ast_sto_dp#

OK, I keep editing this and have to go to bed but I just read the Yachsman is for oil, marine or urethane.  Only $10 each.  Should I just buy a bunch of these? 

https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-Z1121-2-Yachtsman-2-1/dp/B002YC6FMY#

• Like 1

Brief, heavy electrical storm woke me at 4:30 am today.

Well if you have doubts about it and you also want the cabinet to look good, and the finish long lasting be prudent. Yep china bristle is for oil.

Back when I had access to freebies from several different paint stores I was given one of those Yachtsman by a pal and I've never looked back. The price on the 3 from a couple posts ago is actually less than what I paid for those back in the 90s. That particular china bristle will lay on a glass smooth coat of the coating. A flat ended brush might be better for laying the coating on shelving. & alkyd is my preference because it adheres better and lasts longer. Anything latex actually never dries and could feel sticky in high humidity.

Alkyd dries hard. One of the pics of my old place. Benjamín Moore Impervo on the door from one of those 4s. You can see the bleed through... it took a third coat to cover that white fiberglass door.

old-fr-door.jpg

Get an extra, clean gal paint can to slosh some thinner in it through the brush until paint doesn't come out of it anymore. It will take five or six separate washes before it starts to get clean.  Put the handle of the brush between your two hands flattened out with the brush vertical inside the can. Move your hands alternatively and quick back and forth front to back until the excess dirty thinner comes out of the brush before you add more thinner to go the next round. Have work clothes on in case you spin the paint on you and obviously go to the back of the yard or somewhere you want anything green dead and nothing to come back at all!

Keep the brush flat (maybe in the sleeve) to finish drying out until the next day/next coat. Or you could buy more and use them as throw-aways