Tubes & Speaker Cables (NO FLAMES)

easyeyes

The trouble is, they dont go NEXT to each other. Do you have an 81 and a Scott there at same time? I am looking at the Scott pic and dont see why it's so hard to add some RCA to TWO of the inputs. Seriously, it almost looks as if there is not drilling. isnt it just a singel stip behind each of the pairs and not ONE LONG STRIP connecting the whole gang of RCA?

kh

Kelly,

No there is not a long barrier on all the RCA's that's not the point here. The point is the hole size for any given set isn't going to enlarge itself to space these RCA's out further !! Also there is no room to just pull the rear apron off the amp far enough to do any work without disconnecting 40 different wires, the fuse holder, the power cord and every thing this isn't a quick little upgrade and would be very costly labor wise !! It just isn't worth it !! Were not talking about amps that are the end all of audiophile music quality here there just $200 vintage amps you have to draw the line somewhere and I have. I wouldn't even do this for myself !!

Craig

Chris,

Sorry to not get back to you. Heh... You dug out totally yet?

I noticed the comment about the AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables you have in your Khorn room. Man, that was a serious expense to get that much length of that cable. In answer to your question, I used to like AudioQuest years ago and have had a number of AQ cables over the years. I started listening to a lot of other designs and started to realize that a lot of their cable was TOO bright to me and somewhat grainy in comparison (Again, we are talking subtle things here). It just seemed a bit bright but it did please on first take, like a lot of these Home theatre speakers which I seem to be voiced to appeal on first listen with a hotter top end.

But to be honest, I havent heard the later AQ cable such as the Bedrock. The last AQ cable I had in my system was the AQ Indigo which was ok and I thought better than the Type 4 and Type 6. I sold it for cheap to my old girlfriend with the Jolida 302b and she is happy as a clam (she also has AQ Ruby II IC). Actually, one of my FAVORITE AQ cables of old was the VERY inexpensive F-14 which I got a spool of when redoing out college radio station (yes, I was just idiotic enough to wire an entire radio station in AQ cable that I got on a deal - except the balanced/Shielded pro IC. We had an "AudioPhool Approved" radio station with B&K and Superphon amps...heh). The little solid core AQ F-14 sounded VERY good and wasnt thick sounding or too bright (it was a total of two OFC solid core per post - minimal wire). A lot of people liked the Type 4 back then but I thought that wire sounded a bit thick to me.

ad2-bedrock-30ft.jpg

As for the Bedrock, it looks like a different AQ configured cable than their old stuff with the same configuration but with the treble along 14awg on one side and the bass via 12awg in the other. Interesting idea. I imagine it is doing a fine job although your ears should tell you this. I remember Edmond using this as well.

kh

Actually, what I used was not Bedrock ... What I bought was very close to Bedrock, configuration-wise ... and to be truthful, I can remember what it was I got (that's old age for you) but it might have been Indigo :) I need to look it up on the computer or check the tails that I have remaining in the basement. It was maroon in color and twisted much like the Bedrock. I think I paid about $1.20/foot for it. Hey, the electrician cost me more :)

I like the sound of it very much ... My buddy came over with four or five high-end cables (don't ask me what they were but they were $$$) that were about 6' in length, and we hooked the Cornwalls up to them (this was before I redid the family room) off my MC-2105 (talk about overkill). We both agreed that the AQ sounded the best for overall musicality after about five hours of listening. The family room has about 100' of the same AQ cable in my HT rig.

All of the cabling is under the floor and in the walls --- so it will remain there I suspect (unless I have one of those pesky acid flashbacks from the '70's) but I am still collecting notes in my Pilot for the "next room".

Thanks, Kelly.

Yep,

I'm using AQ Bedrock with my 2A3 Moondogs and Belles. I find it's does not encumber the sonics and provides a very pleasing balance with the detail offered through the Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects. I'm sure the Bedrock is not the "ultimate" speaker cable, but it's performance is worthy of my humble SET system.

Klipsch out.

PS. As always Kelly, great reproduced graphic of the Bedrock.