Sunfire Ultimate Receiver vs Denon 4802

bhimeli@aol.com

If there is a recall wait a bit,I know Sunfire fixes things and fast.Now a to if the Ultimate is better then the Denon 4802.Hell yeah,it can take on the 5803,Pioneer 47,Marantz SR14 and the top flight receivers out there.

Amplifier quality and power is second to NONE.Preamp quality is also way up there.Construction and ease of use is great,conectivity complete.Sure the Denon 5803 has even more options,but who will use them all,not even the most hard core users here.

I say Sunfire Ultimate gets my vote.And I had the 5800(sold and got a Sunfire TheaterGrand II,ah much better,used now with Celeste amps :) ) and still have my 3801.

modoc,

The video problem on the Sunfire receiver was reported by one person on the AVS forum. It seems that 2 receivers in a row went blank on component video output for this unlucky individual. "Recall" was too strong a word for one person's problems.

My only advice is that at US $4000, look at all of the alternatives.

The Sunfire would be perfect for low sensitivty or low impedance speakers. Klipsch speakers do not require that type of amp IMO. The Pioneer 49TXi is availble for less than $4K, and has lots of great features.

As far as the Denon 4802 is concerned, the 4803 is likely to be out this summer. I would wait for the model change for the best deals and to compare features.

Bill

Nobody likes to admit to prejudices. Even racists say they are not prejudiced, only realistic. I have to admit to a lingering realism over Bob Carver and his progeny. His 750 watt per channel amplifier rocked my big old Cornwalls, but eventually wore out my ears. In fact no SS amplifier that I have seriously auditioned with my big old horns sounds wonderful in the long run with them, - they wear out your ears - except for the mighty Pass X250, which is ridiculously expensive ($6K). Now if Carver had tube amplifiers and you like the sound, that is the direction you should go tubes. And, because I have not shouted here for, oh, maybe a whole month, let me repeat it again: HORNS LOVE TUBES.3.gif