Folded Horn with 18" driver?

greg928gts

I was just thinking that a folded bass horn with an 18" driver would probably extend lower and have a greater bass output than one with a 15" driver. So what if I took the Khorn plans or La Scala for that matter, and increased the volume of the box, the size of the horn, and everything else in the same proportion to match the increase in the size of the driver? Do you think that would work? I'll never quit trying. 2.gif Greg

Greg, use the search engine for Q-Man and his Patrician Imperials. The bass bin design was licensed from Klipsch and uses the larger driver of your heart's desire. Q-Man is my hero... he has multiple K-horns and uses inverted LaScalas as effects speakers. He is a great fan of the Partrician and has the professional cabinet maker skills to build them. I had a photo of his awesome home theater but it got lost in the shuffle of the last Forum makeover.

Your headed for great territory... don't quit too soon! By the way, a pair of mint Patricians were just sold on Ebay... I don't know what they finally went for... but I am certain you could buy a nice car for what they brought. Send the Q-man an email and if you are fortunate... you will discover not only a great speaker but a great Forum member as well. =HornEd

Greg,

Once i read a guy's homepage about constrained throat basshorns. The homepage moved, don't know where. The attached zip file contains three gif files with this guy's plan for a cornerhorn with an 18" driver, they are not very well. But maybe a starting point for you.

At http://www.speakerplans.com/ you can find plans for frontloaded 18" bins. This horns go low as 50 Hz and are made from a professional speaker builder.

I believe it was the Audio Asylum forum where some posters reported that they built a JBL Scoop scaled to an 18" driver with reasonable results. If you're interested for the Scoop plans for the regular 15" driver give me a request.

What HornEd suggested you should try. Further i suggest to look for some horn theory and discuss with experienced guys when building your own cabinets else use better existing plans.

Bernd

Rieseneckhorn.zip

Bass response of the horn is governed by taper rate and mouth area. Cone size has little if anything to do with it.

The Klipschorn is a 50hz horn with a mouth that is half-sized (even considering the corner placement).

The EV was scaled up 16-2/3%, or 41.66hz.

If you're gonna cheat the mouth area, build a rear loaded horn (scoop).

A 25hz taper rate 18" scoop.

http://www.bassmaxx.com/images/b2_large.jpg

plans for same (just leave off the loading hatch).

http://www.pbaudio.nl/Techcorner/show_construction.asp?Id=20