Direct TV Home Theater--Which Receiver is Best???

cornwaller

Well I can tell you that when I upgraded to a newer Direct TV receiver with Component outputs and Dolby Digital capability I did notice an increase in picture clarity and probably some sonic improvements as well. The RF remote control is a nice improvement as well. Not to mention improved menu options and more capability than my previous receiver, it was certainly worth the $150 upgrade, I then sold my old receiver on eBay for about $50.

I just bought a sony sat-a65 at best buy for $150(open item). I had the standard reciever that comes with the free package before. I do like the fact that it changes through the channels faster, but the menu that they have is not as nice as the RCA's. I prefer the old RCA menu i used to have. You could view more channels at a time in the guide even with the picture in the corner.

To sum it up

Sony:

Pro's

1. faster channel changing.

2. RF remote that works anywhere in my apartment

3. Has a favorites channel button, which is a nice touch

4. dolby digital compatible

Cons

1. basically the menu and the color themes are horrible.

RCA's basically the complete opposite of the sony. Just substitute the pros and cons.

I know that the better models of RCA offer some of the advantages of the sony, and I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations. Not completely certain I am going to hang on to this. Anyone know about recievers?