Centers and sub for KG 4's and KG 1.2's??

jagangjee

I am having a difficult time determining what center channel to get to match up with my KG-4's (main) and KG 1.2's (rear). I have heard many different answers given that there is no "perfect match" which is true. However I am leaning towards something in the KV series, just unsure whether to go with the 2,3,or 4? Any other recommendations beside the KV series? Any thoughts or experiences? Also I will be looking to add a sub woofer, does that make as much of a difference as to what kind to buy as a center does? If so what kind should I be looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

jag

1.gif

jag - My first HT rig used KG4s. You want the KV-3 center channel. The KV-4 was designed for the Epic Series and is not a good match for the KG4s. The KV-2 will suffice, but the KV-3 is better.

The sub you get does not depend on the center channel. While the KG4s produce lots of nice bass, you'll want a sub to really bring the slam home. I started with a 10" JBL (which I barely noticed over the KG4s), then a Velodyne CT-120, and now a SVS 20-39PCi.

Love my KG4s!

DD

I agree the KV-3 is the best center for the Kg4s. I tried the KLF-C7 thinking the 8" woofers would provide the best match for the 8" Kg4 woofers, but it didn't blend well. It always sounded like the sound was going over my head. I had sold my KV-3, but found another on ebay at a very reasonable price. I set up a friend with Kg4/KV-2 combination, but the KV-3 is a better match. Hope this helps.

Please let us know how it works out. I had a KV-3 to go with my KG5.5s, but I always felt it couldn't quite keep up. So I am building my own center speaker (hey, I really am...the MDF was delivered today) using a tweeter, the K-85-K, that is exactly the same as the one in a KG5.5. That is how to get the best possible match.

• 5 years later...

I was very impressed with my KG 4s when i got them. However when i added another amp and a set of a kg 2.5 to go all with them as an additional main left and right channle, it really made a night and day improvement. KG 4 are awsome power hungry speakers that lake a certian subelty that the power handely and fullness that the 2.5s bring to the room. the reason i mention this is when choosing a center acually think about complementing the 4s. i am wanting to grave a kv 3 myself but i would recoment a set of 1.5s or 2.5s up front for anyone with a set of KG 4s. My Taste in listening is differnt than many people, But you have the oppertunity to test a pair of 2.5s or 1.5 with your KG 4s you will not be displeased and could help you solve the delema of witch center to buy. I love stl's custom built center and bang for your buck i think would be the way to go but a KV 3 im going to give a shot becuase a friend of mines father ownes one. just dont buy anything polk. any Klipsch speaker would due better.

KG-4, KG2.5 main l/r
two HK avr 520's
Bose 701s Rear Surround Sound
Polk Audio LSi C Center
Two KSW-12 Kilpsch Subs to the inside of each kg 4
polk 8 inch sub to help the bose out in the rear