Speaker Longevity and Maintenance

deeppurpleman

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum and I have a question about speaker longevity and maintenance. I own a pair of Forte IIs which I've had for over ten years and still sound great. I was wondering how long the drivers will last before they need replacement and/or repair. Are there any recommended procedures that will extend the life of these speakers? I ask this because I want to use these for a new home theatre setup and I may want to find another set of Fortes for the back speakers. I don't want to invest money in older speakers if they're going to fail or need significant repair in the near future. I love the sound of these speakers and I hope I can help them last a good long time.

Thanks

Deep P

Welcome to the forum.

You don't have to worry about driver life on your Fortes. You will be able to give them to your grand children someday and they will sound as good then as they do now.

Don't hesitate buying an old used set of Klipsch speakers for your HT project.

JM

DPman, welcome, and ditto to what JM said.

My dad bought the very Cornwalls I'm listening to right now in '79, and they're showing NO signs of deterioration whatsoever...these Klipsch will outlast even its owners. These horns are incapable of being fried they're that efficient.

The only recommended procedure to extend the life of your drivers is to do nothing to them, as far as I know. Don't spray Pledge, 409, or any other aerosol or cleaning products on them. Don't even use a feather duster on 'em! Just play them and enjoy them (and it's probably best not to use an amplifier more powerful then what your model recommends, to be on the safe side...the experts on this forum can give you the complete skinny on that note).

I would say the same thing that others say, although the speakers I have are a set of brand new RF-7s that I only had for about 8 months or so. I would say that you should not have to do anything to them beyond normal cleaning and dusting like you would any fine piece of furniture (and essentially, that is what your speakers are, as well as being an entertainment device). I don't think it would hurt to use furniture polish on the cabinets every now and again to keep them looking new. The users guide for my RF-7s recommends to just dry dust or use the dusting brush vacuum attachment. Also, you can lightly vacuum the grills to remove any dust on them. I would imagine that those Swifter pads would work wonders as some have mentioned in another thread about cleaning speakers. In any case, do not use any type of abrasives or solvents on your speakers.