Stan Kenton / June Christy

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlemen,

This question is for you Jazz enthusiasts. At my local thrift I picked up a NM copy of the Stan Kenton Road Show LP, I think they played at Purdue University in 1959, and the show included Stan Kenton, June Christy, and the Four Freshmen. This LP sounds great, and is autographed by Stan Kenton, Ray Brown, and Ross Barbour of the Four Freshmen. I have figured out who Stan Kenton and Ross Barbour is, but who is Ray Brown and what is his connection with them. Oh by the way the cost of this LP was 10 cents.

Regards,

Greg

It's THE Ray Brown....he was a GREAT and extremely talented bass player and just died recently. Ray has a million excellent recordings/dates and played with just about everyone such as Dizzy and Oscar Peterson (not to mention Miles, Getz, Ellington, etc). He did some well recorded stuff besides some of the great jazz work. In fact, the CD Super Bass is a fine recording to pick up, if not his most musical. He also did lectures for high school students and student musicians in general. He was a great standup bass emissary and died this year, sadly enough.

kh

I'm with you, Jazzman!

Wow, if that's what he gets for a "who's Ray Brown" dime... no telling what he would get for a (fill in the blank) quarter!

Treat it with love and respect, my good man, and know that it's worth a "friendly Gregorius auction" on this Forum any ole time. =HornEd

Thanks Gentlemen,

This thrift is only about a block from where I work, and I haunt the place weekly at lunch. It has the usual compliment of Xmas, Mancini, and Living Strings LP's but on this weeks visit I cleaned up.

I picked up the aforementioned Stan Kenton, Sinatra Nice and Easy, Sinatra and Basie, An Evening with Belafonte,6 Nat King Cole and about 30 Classical LP's, mostly Mercury or Columbia mono or early stereo pressings in excellent condition. Whoever dropped these off took very good care of them.

I ended up with 60 LP's for $6. I have probably bought 300 LP's from them since last spring when I got back into the vinyl buying mode, all at 10 cents each.

I refuse to give out my location to discourage others from getting there first. 9.gif

Regards,

Greg