Late to the party...(or too early)

Audio Flynn

Somewhat frustrated by the escalating prices on Audiogon for the Scott tube amps. Most have been $500 or more with no updates lately from what I see. And I never see ads for the Eico.

I am really happy to have grabbed my Chorus II for $800 local this fall.

I am definitely "late to the party" on the vintage tube amp pursuit.

There were times in the last 25 years I could have even pulled an amp out of an old 50s console HIFI for free. UUGGH!

Thought it would be interested to trade some quips on getting burned being an early adopter or buying in too late.

1. Passed up on buying used Hereseys for under $ 300 a pair twice.

2. Bought an 8 inch Klipsch sub(horrible impulse purchase).

3. Paid $ 400 for a so so Sony DVD player a few years back.

4. Sold my Jack Roush modified 84 Mustang GT in 1987 for $ 4600 with 69,000 miles; should have kept it.

Feel free to pile on.

Rick

Ther are quite a few Scott amps on EBay now of coarse buy the time you have them updated if your not up to the task and buy whatever tubes are required your still likely to get near $500 in your end cost. But I think thats a bargain myself. Audiogon isn't the greatest place for vintage amps.

Craig

Rick, I just put an ad in the local weekly shopper paper for Scott and Eico tube amps. Kept it pretty basic. It will run for 4 weeks. I will let everyone here know what it turns up. (My boss has advertised in the same paper for old BB Guns. He gets several calls each week so even in the sticks there is hope).

A great EICO with an excellent wiring job just went off of ebay at $218 with only a dirty top chassis and exremely clean udersides. $218 is VERY good for this amps with some vintage tubes. A $125 more and some elbow grease and paint and you would have an amp that would better most around. This in my opinion. Ebay has seen some good bargains lately. I dont know where everyone has been.

kh

Hofy, I have heard the NAD 502 at length. It's a neat little player that I used as my staple player for intalling bargain "good" sounding systems for loons willing to pay for as much.

That being said, you will see some serious improvmement with an upgrade here. Even a first generation used Rega Planet will provide a TREMENDOUS upgrade from the little NAD. I would really consider that before putting more $$$ into amplification. You would be VERY surprised. I rank the Planet as an EXCELLEMT match with EICO amps. This would not be a subtle improvement.

kh

Over the past 3 years I have spent 80-120 days per year out of the country on business. We hired a guy in August 2002 that should keep me under 70,000 flight miles this year and only 45-55 days gone.

When I get home; I do events and homework with the kids(not so much organic chem and calculus with the college student though).

I have purused E Bay but have not participated due to not being able to be around when the auctions wrap up.

I s it possible to be succcessful with E bay auctions if you are infrequent in your access to the internet?

yeah, search google for bid sniping outfits. they'll promise to hit the auction with whatever maximum bid you specify within the last few seconds. haven't heard anything bad yet. there's still logistical issues around timely payment and whatnot. do you have access to email on the road? get a cheap laptop, you can dialup from about anywhere these days. use a big provider like ATT Worldnet, they've got dialups all over the world except the India region. There's ISPs there too. Where do you go when you travel? there's even some small email devices that are not laptops if there's security issues around a laptop.

Tom

Audio Flynn,

If its really that hard for you to buy one on ebay and you trust my judgment and also give me some criteria on what cosmetic requirements are within your expectable needs. I will bid and buy one for you and can guarantee your end product rebuilt won't exceed $450 without a case and $500 with a case for say a Scott 299A.

Just thought I would offer I'm always watching Ebay for descent deals.

Craig

There are disadvantages to being too early to the party too. I sold 4 Marantz 2 amplifiers, a pristine pair of Model 1 preamps with power supplies, and the Model 6 controller for $800. I figured I was doing the wise thing because I was almost tripling my investment, and everyone was saying tubes and parts would be impossible to find, the insulation on the wires would start breaking down, filter caps only last twenty years and so on. Then I sold my Scott 299c and 350b with walnut cases for $120.

I think I'll go lie down now and put a cold washcloth on my head.

Captain Bob 8.gif15.gif8.gif

----------------

On 1/10/2003 1:15:22 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Hofy, I have heard the NAD 502 at length. It's a neat little player that I used as my staple player for intalling bargain "good" sounding systems for loons willing to pay for as much.

That being said, you will see some serious improvmement with an upgrade here. Even a first generation used Rega Planet will provide a TREMENDOUS upgrade from the little NAD. I would really consider that before putting more $$$ into amplification. You would be VERY surprised. I rank the Planet as an EXCELLEMT match with EICO amps. This would not be a subtle improvement.

kh

----------------

Yes the 502 is far from perfect. WAY FAR. Until yesterday it had an eBay value of $20 because of burned out display lights. My Weller and 2 micro bulbs takes care of that. eBay here it comes. Speaking of that, dont get me started on Rega!!

9.gif
That has to be one of the best CD Players ever. One like yours is over $300 already on eBay.

As for my paper ads I dont plan on running them again. I spent a big $7 for 1 month of my ad. If nothing turns up, so be it. But, who knows.