A/V Receiver in the 300 - 600 range?

kidproquo

Hello to my fellow Klipsch fans,

I know this may be a dumb question, but I need some advice.

I have 2 RP3s, an RC3 and 2 Quintets and I am looking for a good A/V receiver in the 300-600$ range. Any suggestions keeping my speakers in mind?

I eventually plan to upgrade to a proper 6.1 speaker setup, so a nice 6.1 receiver with all the bells and whistles would be nice. Any favs in the 300 - 600 price range?

Thanx

-kpq

4.gif

----------------

On 1/10/2003 7:11:06 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Outlaw 1050

no one on this forum has ever regretted their purchase that I know of.

True high current amplification and quite a few bells and whistles

----------------

Here's the link:

www.outlawaudio.com

We have one downstairs. Quite the impressive unit for $500.

Edit: One problem though. It doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic 2, but I find putting it in Natural mode while watching TV sounds pretty good.

I would suggest you take a look at the Yamaha DSP 3090. They can be had for about $300 on Ebay and Yam hasn't made anything better until the RXV-1. The reason I say Yam is that a lot of the other guys are using their processing chip! and their units have one of the best DACs made.

Cornwaller

Another option is Denon 1803 or even 2802/3...depends on where you buy and new vs used.

I bought the OUTLAW 1050 used and transferred the warranty under my name. You can find mint Outlaws for $400 used, B-stock under $450. New $498. OUTLAW has great support! I'm very happy with the Outlaw. You do need to review the features vs your needs and make sure it has what you need (ie no DPL II).

I wish it had a phono stage and surround pro bypass switch...there is a connection workaround for the bypass.

Thanx guys for ur inputs. I appreciate it and I am really keen on the Outlaw.

Got one qsn though. My primary goal wud be listening to music thru the receiver while watching DVDs will be secondary.

How is the Outlaw 1050 for music? Does the lack of ProLogic 2 really matter?

Regards,

kpq

The 1050 is very very good on music. If you use Heritage speakers, a good stereo tube preamp into the direct inputs of the 1050 will produce a truly excellent sound. Great on DVDs. PLII is good if you have a lot of old VHS movies. Otherwise, you don't need it if you're playing CDs, SACDs and DVDs. The 1050 can't be matched in sound quality with anything under $1000 IMHO.

Well, the lack of DP2 doesn't bother me any. I don't know what I'd use it for anyways. TV sounds just fine through Natural Mode. Better than any modes on my Denon, that's for sure.

My advice is to also get a nice sub. I don't know if it's because I'm a bass head or what, but neither of the receivers in my house have enough umph for my liking. As far as music playback, I'd go out on a limb and say that the Outlaw sounds better than any Onkyo, Yamaha, (even my Denon), etc in the $500 price range. Plus, their customer support is phenomenal. It also has a built in crossover for the sub-out.

It's only negatives are (in my opinion): no DP2 (not a problem), no THX (going by the wayside anyways, worthless IMO), and no DTS-ES playback (not many DVD's with this anyways, and by the time there are, you will have a new receiver or DVD's will be obsolete.)

If you haven't already, read the reviews:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/reviews/1050reviews.html