HELP - Save my TV from broken Kg 2.2v

t-man

yes keith, i believe t-man has a point. & if i put in 1 of those giant tv like you're talkin, one 30 would be in the closet & the other on the front porch biggrin.gif

like i said, i can work w/ the video thing -

these klf sound so good (along w/ my vel hgs)

that I could watch the tube through a kalideoscope & still be happy.

t-man, sounds to me like the speaker is in fact skewing your lines. same thing happened to my sony as soon as I put the klf30 on spikes, which raised them about an inch. my guess is that big ole upper woofer or the midrange magnet came more into play. actually, don't notice it at all during movies, but do on cable when i bring up the menu/schedule (where I am usually at trying to decide what to watch).

but also notice some picture breakup on dvd & cable when the volume is cranked & much bass- maybe because when those woofers/drivers are really driving they're throwing out more electrons?

anyway, i guess those huge cans of pickled beets from sam's may come in handy. but maybe the sony will keep fixin itself.

& hopefully the new magnets help. anybody have a recommendation for which epoxy glue

to get at Home Depot? Elmer's?

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

t-man, yes I imagine you are right.But did you imagine that I also had a 27" Sony tube prior to buying the Sony RP.Never had a problem whatsoever.Imagine that.

Orion, I would imagine that this answers your question.

And to all a good night.

Keith

Color distortion on the edge is caused by stray magnetism. It can be removed by degaussing the cabinet frame around the tube.

I've seen many computer monitors with geometric distortion, cheap ones right out of the box and older, worn-out ones. Since it disappears when not in the same room as the speakers, I would say that something in that room has picked up enough magnetism to affect the TV yoke, not the CRT's frame. There are magnetic rings around the neck of the tube to help align the yoke. Maybe that's what you aren't supposed to degauss. One of those rings may be amplifying some stray magnetic field in the room. Any of those TV guys have a gauss meter that are too expensive if you aren't in the biz? cheap gauss meter

boa12- I went to the store to buy a Toshiba set to match my DVD. The Tosh was set up next to a Sony. No contest. I had a Sony 27" for almost 7 years before the red gun died. I bought something "just as good" but cheaper, because of the Sony repair cost. Back to Sony now. The slight curve of the glass is hardly noticeable to me, but it helps keep reflected lights looking small (lens affect.)

The flat screen looks perfect on the WEGAs. My problem was room light. The flat screen reflected a lamp the same size as the lamp. The slightly curved Trinitron tube makes the lamp 1/4 the size (or less.) In a perfect cinema room, this isn't a problem, because the lamps are off or subdued. I have a bad habit of reading while "watching" TV, which is the majority of my viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Boa,

Did you get those bucking magnets yet? Did they do the trick?

update:

I took my TV into the shop, and was able to replicate my problems in front of the aged repair-man. He manually degaussed for me 2X with no noticeable effect or improvement. He told me that my problem was not noticeable by 99% of the population, and that it was not repairable, at least...not in a cost effective way. He said he wouldn't even touch it and that no TV's were perfect. No charge.

Now, I think if I'm in the 1%, then I should have the TV the way it USED TO BE - at least...

So it appears as though my TV has been permanently damaged. At least I have good sound. Looks like that $75 center speaker wasn't such a good deal anyway. Looks like crap (arrived damaged), ruined TV, forced modification of my ent center...but I sure do like how it sounds.

Without space for a bigger TV,

T-man

yea t, ended up putting the bucks on all the

klf-30 driver mags & it's back to a good, non-skewed pic as far as I can tell. y trinitron seemed to degauss itself ok.

putting on those bucks was no walk in the park. i won't even get into that - too traumatic biggrin.gif

i am looking at a new 27" Sony Wega though. but ok for now.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster XP & Z series cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Welcome back t-man.I guess everyone should know that while t-man was away he was also using his pocket pistol,and is now expecting a new ENTERTAINMENT CENTER.

Only smaller.And this one eats.Congratulations to you and your better half t-man. Smile.gif

Keith

Boa,

Glad to hear that the bucks fixed your problem. Hopefully, you figured out that you need to lay your speakers down on their backs BEFORE you begin unscrewing! As for myself, I finally found a use for all those heavy college text books that I managed to keep. They make good weights for clamping down magnets that want to "slide" around when trying to bond them.

yea....t-baby on the way...those who are the praying type, please keep mom and baby in your prayers...having early complications, but should be OK. She needs bed-rest for a while. I figured vibration therapy would work (via sub output), but poor response (:

T-man