HELP - Save my TV from broken Kg 2.2v

t-man

Hey folks. Need your help.

I told you all before about that broken KG 2.2v I got from Ebay, and how the magnets were all out of whack. It was only on my TV for a few minutes, but it sure did mess it up. Ever since, I've been having troubles with the TV.

Although I no longer get rainbows in the corners or any other color errors, there is the slightest darkening, or purple in the upper right corner, seen almost exclusively with green screen shots. You will miss it if you don't look carefully.

What you wont miss, however, is that now my screen is distorted. Watching a letter box movie, the upper horizontal bars aren't straight. A box on the TV also looks like it's caving in on one side.

My TV is a 27" sony trinitron. It will be best, if you see pictures of what I'm describing. Look here:

http://members-http-4.rwc1.sfba.home.net/tkruger4/ebay/tv.html

Notice the THX box, and how it's distorted? Notice the green preview screen, and how it's dark on the left corners - especially upper? The camera really get's this well. Better than live, actually. Notice the words aren't perfectly horizontal, but rather tilted up on the left?

My question is...is my TV permanently broken? Would a professional degausing fix this? I don't know what to do. Help!

note: all speakers are correctly demagnitized within 5 feet of my TV, including the center and main speakers. When I remove the center, the problem does not go away, nor does it when I remove any other speakers from the room.

Thanks,

T-man

Pro degaussing is called for. Don't allow any hack to do this as damage is possible. Sometimes metal objects such as parts of stands etc, nearby become magnetized and then influence the picture.

Also there are "purity magnets" installed during production to eliminate the last traces of magnetic distortion and these can fall off inside the TV. Are you 100% certain none of this was happening before you put the defective speaker on the TV?

Finally, it is quite common for lines not to be straight, but you would have noticed this before the problem if it existed.

While the tv has a degaussing circuit built in (triggered by thermal cycle probably) pro degaussing should be done. It is about a 5 minute procedure and other than the trip, should not be expensive.

t-man, i'm getting the same thing w/ my 27" sony & the new klf-30. at first color was all messed up & now ok but picture is skewed.

the bucking magnets from klipsch parts haven't arrived yet but i was afraid of it doing damage to the tube.

thought i read it's servicable. do you have a Sony service center nearby?

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

BobG,

I did not have the distortion problem before. However, I got the 2.2v at roughly the same time as my KG 5.5s. The 5.5s may have something to do with it, but I got the bucking magnets installed within a couple weeks. A tiny rainbow effect (seen only on rare occasion) nearest the closest KG 5.5 was immediately gone, but the distortion remains.

I just read somewhere that bucking magnets alone will not shield the front or sides of the speaker, but only the rear. What good is that? Is this true???? Could my 5.5s still be causing this problem, because they aren't properly shielded? If so, I just wasted $100 on magnets.

Please help,

T-man

Afraid,

Is that supposed to be funny?

I actually tried that once in college. I lived in a fraternity, and I had a small 20" TV. Everytime I would watch a letter box movie, the picture would be crooked (higher on the left than the right). I sold it to a friend, and got a Sony 27". Hooked it up, and same thing! I took it back and exchanged it for a new one (the one I currently have).

I hooked it up, and same thing! What the heck was going on here? I pulled it away from the wall, and ebefore I got it disconnected, noticed that the problem was better. I pulled it further from the wall, and it was totally fixed. As I pushed it back towards the wall, it got worse.

Was this a TV and/or speaker problem. No! I think something similar is happening now since I had those big magnets on top of my TV from the KG2.2. Some sort of magnetic interference is going on.

T-man

The two techniques used to shield speakers are bucking magnets and shield cups. The magnets minimize stray fields in one direction while the cups are better at other stray fields. In either case, the field is not uniform and shielding measures are never perfect.

Certain TV's are more prone to magnetic interference as well. Flat screen TV's and big tube TV's suffer more problems than do the curvy tube types and smaller tube sizes. It all has to do with the precision of the electron beam landing on the proper dots on the phosphor screen. The bigger the tube, the longer the distance the beam travels from the electron gun to the phosphor screen and the more any bending of the beam will be seen as color distortion.

Geometric distortions are a related but different problem. Many TV's have trouble and even with no speakers near by, they may not make proper squares and circles.

As force decreases as the square of distance, space is your ally. Move your speakers and TV farther from each other and allow the TV to go through a few heat up/cool down cycles - a couple hours on followed by a couple off. This should trigger the internal degaussing function. Then check to see if the picture is any different.

The bucking magnets you put on the 5.5's should do the trick but you may not be able to have the speaker and TV as close together as you wish.

Wiring in the wall affects picture quality & distortion. I repair computer systems and the first thing I do when I have a call for a distorted monitor is put an extension cable on it and move it away from the walls. Not only wiring but appliances running on the same wall in an adjacent room will cause distortion.

My first question to the end user on a phone support call is "Do you have a fan on or a space heater under your desk?" This is a common summer and winter complaint.

I think you solved your own problem by moving your TV.

Pete,

That problem was solved 7 years ago. Since then I have had no problems. In my current residence. The TV has been in the same spot for a year with no problems. The problem only starte since the KG 2.2V incident and upgrade to KG 5.5.

Hope that clears things up. The local TV repair shop won't come and fix my TV, and says I have to lug it in for a degauss. Gimme a break. Considering all these environmental factors, I would like a home visit. Should I insist on this, and keep shopping till I find one?

There is NO alternative placement for my TV, so that is not an option. Like I said, I never used to have problems with this location.

T-man

pete c, yea movin along. now looks like the tv will be going in w/ the 2nd sys & the safer rf-3 biggrin.gif problem now is i'm looking at 1 of those flat tube sony wega for the main system & after bobg & treyc comments maybe another brand more agrees w/ klipsch klf towers.

anyway, when the buck magnets for the klf-30 mids & tweets arrive i'll see if that helps.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

t-man, sorry I misread your letter. I shouldn't check the posts when it's past my bedtime.

boa12, I passed on the WEGA due to the reflection. Instead of a miniature reflection of light, it is a full-sized reflection. I chose the normal 35" Sony. It will depend on how your room is set up.

pete, i guess that means the wega's anti-reflection tech can create a problem in itself biggrin.gif any color tv recommends for the 27" variety???

i'm limited to a max 29" inside a cabinet. guess that rules out a rptv (?)

main concern now is anti-magnetism, though i realize the main problem is the klf being too close to the tube. hopefully the bucking mags work caus I think putting on cups is beyond this tool-time dropout biggrin.gif

Fellas,

Took the TV out of it's spot. Put in on the other side of basement, connected cable TV, plugged it in. Couldn't replicate problem (Also couldn't put in a DVD, so had to rely on sci-fi channel for letterbox). Color distortion still there, but no obvious geometric distortion.

Every TV repairman I've talked to say that the speaker could never have caused a geometric distortion - only color.

I put the TV back in it's place, and removed all speakers from room (sub, center, L and R). Still same color and geometric distortion now.

Did something in the primary viewing area get magnetized or something. This environmental effect is really bugging me. How can I fix this?

I think I will take it in for a degaussing, although the repairman said that you shouldn't degauss Sony Trinitrons. Something special about them could cause permanent magnifications during degaussing process.

What's the deal with these Sony's. Is Boa's doing the same thing? Anybody else have this problem? Let us know when you get the magnets installed, Boa. Mine didn't do the trick.

Anybody know of some good tin can products I can buy to use the cans for shielding cups for my KG 5.5s?

T-man

T-man

boa,throw out the cabinet and get yourself a 53-61" Sony XBR RP.

A few weeks ago my wife and I were at a big sale and I was in a theatre room checking out

some Pioneer Elite TV's.I was admiring the piano black finish,checking to see how clearly my finger prints would show up on the

finish,when my wife came in.I backed off about ten feet and asked her how she liked the picture on a 51 incher.She pointed and said"I like that one better".She pointed to a

53" Sony XBR RP that I hadn't noticed.I looked at that picture and that of the three Pioneers and mumbled "I guess that's the reason I bought a Sony".

Go for it dude.It'll make the 30's look smaller and your grin a lot larger! smile.gif

Keith