KSW-12

BearFan

Please help/advise. I'm completely new to the world of home A/V equipment. I went from an easy HTIB unit to components and am having trouble with setting my sub. I have to turn the sub level control to 7 in order to hear it from my listening position. This seems awfully extreme. I had purchased Boston Acousitc Sub (system 9000II) that was much more loud but not as low and distinctive as the Klipsch ksw-12... so I swaped 'em. But the KSW12 doesn't seem to kick in as often. I read previously in the forum, that there is cardboard in the sub to protect it... is this true... I have looked and don't see any... could it be stuffed in the port? Thanks for any advice you can provide to a newbie.

Try setting the power switch to on, rather than Auto, and see if it is more "active." Sometimes it doesn't wake up in time to play the signal before the signal fades, especially if the only signal going to the sub is the LFE (the .1 in 5.1).

How are your speakers configured - large or small? How is the sub connected - line level or speaker (high) level?

DD

As Duckloads and Doug both mention how do you have your sub setup? My guess is either you have the low pass enabled with the lowest crossover setting, say 40hz, or your on auto mode as Doug suggested and the sub just hasn't kicked in. If you can, set the sub to on, and enable LFE and then see what you have.

~shoe

Thanks for replying. I have configured my main L & R (SB2) to small and my SC1 center to small also. My sub is connected to the sub-out from my Yamaha HTR-5590. The owner's manual for the KSW-12 is not very descriptive. I just have a sub-cable running into the L/LFE on the sub... the diagram indicates a Y plug into the L & R... but the salesperson told me the Right was for "bypassing" and only plugging into the L/LFE was necessary. Is this true or do I really need a Y-connector? Thanks in advance.

BearFan-

Most users have found that using a Y-plug that goes into both the L & R inputs on the KSW-12 has helped output more SPLs. I can't remember exactly how I had my KSW-12 setup, ie what level control was set at, but I did find it rather lacking in output levels and quite boomy. I finally sold it and got a different sub......

Good luck....

-Dave